- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 large eggplants (1kg), sliced thinly
- 1 large brown onion (200g), chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 kilogram lamb mince
- 425 gram can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (20g) grated parmesan cheese
- 80 gram butter
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 2 gram (500ml) milk
- 1Heat oil in large frying pan, cook eggplant, in batches, until browned, drain on absorbent paper.
- 2Cook onion and garlic in pan until soft. Add mince, cook, stirring, until mince changes colour. Stir in undrained tomatoes, wine and cinnamon, bring to the boil. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
- 3Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan-forced). Oil shallow 2-litre (8-cup) rectangular baking dish.
- 4Make white sauce.
- 5Place a third of the eggplant, overlapping slightly, in dish, spread half the meat sauce over eggplant. Repeat with another third of the eggplant, remaining meat sauce then remaining eggplant. Spread white sauce over eggplant, sprinkle with cheese.
- 6Bake about 40 minutes or until top browns lightly. Cover, stand 10 minutes before serving.
- 7Melt butter in medium pan. Add flour, cook, stirring, until mixture bubbles and thickens. Gradually add milk, stir until mixture boils and thickens.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate peanut butter slab cakeYesterday 5:19am
- Citrus almond twistAug 20, 2019
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeAug 20, 2019
- 10 quick and easy dessertsAug 20, 2019
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019