- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 large eggplants (1kg), sliced thinly
- 1 large brown onion (200g), chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 kilogram lamb mince
- 425 gram can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (20g) grated parmesan cheese
- 80 gram butter
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 2 gram (500ml) milk
- 1Heat oil in large frying pan, cook eggplant, in batches, until browned, drain on absorbent paper.
- 2Cook onion and garlic in pan until soft. Add mince, cook, stirring, until mince changes colour. Stir in undrained tomatoes, wine and cinnamon, bring to the boil. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
- 3Preheat oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan-forced). Oil shallow 2-litre (8-cup) rectangular baking dish.
- 4Make white sauce.
- 5Place a third of the eggplant, overlapping slightly, in dish, spread half the meat sauce over eggplant. Repeat with another third of the eggplant, remaining meat sauce then remaining eggplant. Spread white sauce over eggplant, sprinkle with cheese.
- 6Bake about 40 minutes or until top browns lightly. Cover, stand 10 minutes before serving.
- 7Melt butter in medium pan. Add flour, cook, stirring, until mixture bubbles and thickens. Gradually add milk, stir until mixture boils and thickens.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kohlrabi & sweet potato rosti with cashew dipYesterday 7:08am
- Delicious recipes to try in your Kmart pie makerYesterday 12:05am
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019
- 14 cheeky chickpea recipesJun 05, 2019
- Waffles à la suzetteJun 04, 2019
- Vegetable and chickpea frittersJun 04, 2019