Moroccan lemon chicken
- 2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon mild paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1.2 kilogram chicken pieces, with skin on
- 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 2 red onions, halved, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 small lemon, zest grated, juiced
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 1 1/2 cup couscous
- 2 tablespoon chopped mint, plus small leaves extra
- greek-style natural yoghurt, to serve
Moroccan lemon chicken
- 1Combine cumin, paprika and turmeric in a small bowl. Place 1 tablespoon of the spice mixture in a large bowl. Add chicken; toss to coat. Season. Heat half the oil in a saucepan over moderately high heat. Cook and turn chicken, in batches, for 3 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl. Discard oil. Reduce heat to moderate. Add remaining oil to pan; cook and stir onion for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, cinnamon and remaining spice mixture: cook and stir for 30 seconds.
- 2Add half the zest, juice, olives and 1 1/2 cups water to pan; stir to combine. Add chicken; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Add apricots; simmer, covered, for 5 minutes more or until heated.
- 3Place couscous in a heatproof bowl. Stir in 1 1/ 2 cups boiling water. Cover with plastic food wrap. Set aside for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Using a fork, fluff and separate grains. Stir in mint and remaining zest.
- 4Top chicken with extra mint leaves. Serve with couscous and yoghurt.
Use a whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces. Make ahead: Cook up to 3 months ahead. Label, date and freeze. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpToday 1:00pm
- French toastToday 1:00pm
- Honey joysToday 1:00pm
- Best burger recipesToday 4:33am
- Butter chickenYesterday 4:00pm
- Vanilla sliceYesterday 1:00pm
- Ultimate greek saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiYesterday 1:00pm
- Pho boYesterday 1:00am
- Pickled baby beetrootOct 13, 2019
- Beef stroganoffOct 13, 2019
- Vietnamese meatball and lettuce wrapOct 13, 2019
- Strawberry jelly sliceOct 13, 2019
- Melting momentsOct 10, 2019
- Lamb souvlakiOct 10, 2019
- Pumpkin pieOct 09, 2019