Moroccan lamb shanks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 (800g) french-trimmed lamb shanks
- 1 small brown onion (80g), finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- pinch saffron threads
- 400 gram canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon dried currants
- 180 gram persian feta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoon preserved lemon rind, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon roasted slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
Moroccan lamb shanks
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F.
- 2Heat oil in a large flameproof baking dish, cook lamb until browned all over. Remove from dish.
- 3Meanwhile, add onion to dish, cook, stirring until softened. Add spices, cook, stirring until fragrant. Return lamb to dish with tomatoes, stock and currants and bring to the boil. Cover dish, cook, in oven, 2½ hours or until lamb is almost falling off the bone. Season to taste.
- 4Skim and discard excess fat from surface of sauce. Divide lamb and sauce among plates. Sprinkle with feta, preserved lemon rind, nuts and coriander.
Persian feta is a soft, creamy cheese marinated in a blend of olive oil, garlic, herbs and spices. It is available from most delicatessens and major supermarkets. This recipe can be made a day ahead to the end of step 3.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Warming vegetarian stews and casserolesApr 16, 2021
- Potato recipesApr 16, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyApr 16, 2021
- Melting momentsApr 15, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeApr 15, 2021
- 26 easy beef stews and casserolesApr 15, 2021
- 19 of our tastiest savoury tartsApr 15, 2021
- Garlic and rosemary focacciaApr 15, 2021
- Salted caramelsApr 15, 2021