- 300 gram dark eating chocolate
- 155 gram butter
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2/3 cup self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoons dutch-processed cocoa
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup (40g) desiccated coconut
- 2 tablespoon underproof dark rum
- 250 gram butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease 24cm closed springform pan or a deep 23cm cake pan.
- 2Break chocolate into a medium saucepan, add butter, sugar and the water; stir over low heat until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl; cool 5 minutes. Stir in sifted flour and cocoa,egg yolks, coconut and rum until combined.
- 3Beat egg whites in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; fold into chocolate mixture, in two batches. Pour cake mixture into pan.
- 4Bake cake about 30 minutes. Cool cake in pan.
- 5Make chocolate butter cream
- 6Turn cake, top-side up, onto a cake plate; spread butter cream on top of cake. Dust with a little more cocoa and decorate with large chocolate curls, if you like.
- 7Beat butter in a small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add sifted icing sugar and cocoa; beat until smooth and fluffy.
The un-iced cake can be made a day ahead, store in an airtight container at room temperature. Decorate with butter cream and chocolate curls on the day of serving.Dutch-processed cocoa refers to cocoa that has had an alkaline added, during a process called 'dutching'. The resulting cocoa has a richer chocolate taste and colour.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Aussie damperToday 12:41am
- Protein and bliss ballsYesterday 1:00pm
- Gluten-free dessertsMar 27, 2020
- Vietnamese lemongrass chicken bowlMar 26, 2020
- The best Italian recipesMar 26, 2020
- The big chocolate cookieMar 26, 2020
- RatatouilleMar 26, 2020
- Quince pasteMar 26, 2020
- Classic recipe for chocolate mousseMar 25, 2020
- Osso buccoMar 25, 2020
- Apple crumbleMar 25, 2020
- Ginger sticky date puddingMar 25, 2020
- Delicious recipes to try in your Air FryerMar 25, 2020
- Easy baking recipesMar 25, 2020
- 26 really good rhubarb recipesMar 25, 2020