- 60 gram butter
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, extra
- 1 3/4 cup (435ml) boiling water
- 50 millilitre kahlua coffee liqueur, optional
- cream and fresh berries, to serve
- 1Preheat the oven 180°C ( 160°C fan-forced). Grease a 1.5-litre (6-cup) ovenproof dish.
- 2Melt butter with milk in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat; stir in extract, coffee, caster sugar, then sifted flour and cocoa. Spread the pudding mixture into prepared dish.
- 3Sift brown sugar and extra cocoa over the pudding mixture. Combine boiling water and kahlua in a small jug. Pour slowly over the back of a spoon onto the pudding mixture.
- 4Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the surface of pudding is firm. Stand for 2 minutes before serving.
- 5Serve with cream and fresh berries.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave. Self-saucing puddings are a little bit of kitchen magic. The quite thick and heavy batter becomes the cakey part, while the added boiling water helps form a delicious sauce. During the baking, the water gradually works its way through the batter, taking most of the sugar with it. This softens the batter and gradually forces it upwards, until it ends up floating on a bed of sauce. Stand these puddings for a minute or two before serving, to let them settle, and for some of the heat to subside. The cake will keep soaking up the sauce, so serve it quickly.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- Boston baked beansToday 5:03am
- Dessert recipes starring fresh peachesToday 4:18am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Homemade mint sauceToday 1:00am
- Our best cupcake recipesYesterday 11:12pm
- Our best banana breadYesterday 11:00pm
- Lamb rack with sourdough, lemon and herb crustYesterday 10:43pm
- Lamb chops with slow-roast tomatoesYesterday 9:00pm
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeYesterday 5:00pm
- Roast stuffed mushroomsYesterday 1:00pm
- Potato samosasYesterday 1:00pm
- Breakfast and brunch recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Banana pancakes with butterscotch sauceYesterday 1:00pm