- 60 gram butter
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, extra
- 1 3/4 cup (435ml) boiling water
- 50 millilitre kahlua coffee liqueur, optional
- cream and fresh berries, to serve
- 1Preheat the oven 180°C ( 160°C fan-forced). Grease a 1.5-litre (6-cup) ovenproof dish.
- 2Melt butter with milk in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat; stir in extract, coffee, caster sugar, then sifted flour and cocoa. Spread the pudding mixture into prepared dish.
- 3Sift brown sugar and extra cocoa over the pudding mixture. Combine boiling water and kahlua in a small jug. Pour slowly over the back of a spoon onto the pudding mixture.
- 4Bake for about 40 minutes, or until the surface of pudding is firm. Stand for 2 minutes before serving.
- 5Serve with cream and fresh berries.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave. Self-saucing puddings are a little bit of kitchen magic. The quite thick and heavy batter becomes the cakey part, while the added boiling water helps form a delicious sauce. During the baking, the water gradually works its way through the batter, taking most of the sugar with it. This softens the batter and gradually forces it upwards, until it ends up floating on a bed of sauce. Stand these puddings for a minute or two before serving, to let them settle, and for some of the heat to subside. The cake will keep soaking up the sauce, so serve it quickly.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Croque monsieurYesterday 7:00pm
- Osso buco with gremolataYesterday 5:00pm
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019
- Slow cooker vegetable minestroneMay 14, 2019
- Slow-cooker ribollitaMay 14, 2019