- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/4 cup (60ml) hot water
- 125 gram butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 2/3 cup (80g) almond meal
- 125 gram dark chocolate, melted
- 3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk
- coffee beans, to decorate, optional
- 3 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 1/2 tablespoon hot water
- 185 gram unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cup (360g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a 12-hole, 1/3-cup (80ml) capacity muffin pan with paper cases.
- 2Combine coffee granules and hot water in a cup. Stir until dissolved.
- 3Beat butter and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just combined between additions.
- 4Fold in half of the combined sifted cocoa and flour, all the almond meal and then the chocolate. Fold in the buttermilk, remaining flour mixture and the coffee mixture.
- 5Divide mixture among paper cases. Bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer, cool cakes on a wire rack.
- 6To make coffee buttercream, combine coffee granules and hot water in a cup. Stir until dissolved. Beat butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until as pale as possible. Gradually beat in half the icing sugar, all the coffee mixture, then the remaining icing sugar.
- 7Using a piping bag fitted with a small plain nozzle, decorate cakes with coffee butter cream. Top each cake with coffee beans, if desired.
Hazelnut meal can be substituted for the almond meal.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022