- 1/3 cup (80g) red miso paste
- 1/4 cup (60ml) tamari
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 600 gram butternut pumpkin, cut into 2.5cm thick wedges
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) water
- 40 gram piece fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 140 gram dried soba noodles
- 250 gram gai lan (chinese broccoli), trimmed
- 1/4 cup shredded dried seaweed (nori)
- 2 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 2Whisk 1 tablespoon miso, 2 tablespoons tamari and oil in a large bowl. Add pumpkin; toss to coat. Place pumpkin, in a single layer, on tray. Roast for 40 minutes or until golden and tender.
- 3Meanwhile, bring the water, ginger and remaining miso to the boil in a large saucepan. Add noodles and gai lan; return to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, for 2 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in remaining tamari; season to taste.
- 4Divide pumpkin and broth into bowls; sprinkle with seaweed, green onion and seeds. Serve with warm flatbread, if you like.
Just before serving, you could sprinkle this dish with a little shichimi tōgarashi – a Japanese spice powder (literally meaning “seven flavour chilli pepper”). In addition to the chillies, other ingredients can include: sichuan pepper, dried citrus peel, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, hemp seeds, ginger, garlic, shiso, and nori. It is readily available from Asian supermarkets. If unavailable you can use dried chilli flakes.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic lamingtonsJan 25, 2020
- Lamington popsJan 25, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateJan 16, 2020
- Ricotta cheesecake with mangoJan 16, 2020
- Bourbon & molasses barbecue sauceJan 16, 2020
- Passionfruit cheesecake sliceJan 15, 2020
- Paprika chicken with chilli sauceJan 15, 2020
- Crab and zucchini spaghettiJan 15, 2020
- Quick three-cheese frittataJan 15, 2020
- Prawn cocktail platterJan 15, 2020
- Chicken skewers with green olive dressingJan 15, 2020
- Three-ingredient plum tartJan 15, 2020
- Linguine with garlic prawnsJan 15, 2020
- Lamb kofta with yoghurtJan 15, 2020
- Scone recipesJan 15, 2020