- 1/3 cup (80g) red miso paste
- 1/4 cup (60ml) tamari
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 600 gram butternut pumpkin, cut into 2.5cm thick wedges
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) water
- 40 gram piece fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 140 gram dried soba noodles
- 250 gram gai lan (chinese broccoli), trimmed
- 1/4 cup shredded dried seaweed (nori)
- 2 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 2Whisk 1 tablespoon miso, 2 tablespoons tamari and oil in a large bowl. Add pumpkin; toss to coat. Place pumpkin, in a single layer, on tray. Roast for 40 minutes or until golden and tender.
- 3Meanwhile, bring the water, ginger and remaining miso to the boil in a large saucepan. Add noodles and gai lan; return to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, for 2 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in remaining tamari; season to taste.
- 4Divide pumpkin and broth into bowls; sprinkle with seaweed, green onion and seeds. Serve with warm flatbread, if you like.
Just before serving, you could sprinkle this dish with a little shichimi tōgarashi – a Japanese spice powder (literally meaning “seven flavour chilli pepper”). In addition to the chillies, other ingredients can include: sichuan pepper, dried citrus peel, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, hemp seeds, ginger, garlic, shiso, and nori. It is readily available from Asian supermarkets. If unavailable you can use dried chilli flakes.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Warming vegetarian stews and casserolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Potato recipesYesterday 6:40am
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyYesterday 4:02am
- Melting momentsApr 15, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeApr 15, 2021
- 26 easy beef stews and casserolesApr 15, 2021
- 19 of our tastiest savoury tartsApr 15, 2021
- Garlic and rosemary focacciaApr 15, 2021
- Salted caramelsApr 15, 2021