- 1/3 cup (80g) red miso paste
- 1/4 cup (60ml) tamari
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 600 gram butternut pumpkin, cut into 2.5cm thick wedges
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) water
- 40 gram piece fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 140 gram dried soba noodles
- 250 gram gai lan (chinese broccoli), trimmed
- 1/4 cup shredded dried seaweed (nori)
- 2 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- 2Whisk 1 tablespoon miso, 2 tablespoons tamari and oil in a large bowl. Add pumpkin; toss to coat. Place pumpkin, in a single layer, on tray. Roast for 40 minutes or until golden and tender.
- 3Meanwhile, bring the water, ginger and remaining miso to the boil in a large saucepan. Add noodles and gai lan; return to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, for 2 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in remaining tamari; season to taste.
- 4Divide pumpkin and broth into bowls; sprinkle with seaweed, green onion and seeds. Serve with warm flatbread, if you like.
Just before serving, you could sprinkle this dish with a little shichimi tōgarashi – a Japanese spice powder (literally meaning “seven flavour chilli pepper”). In addition to the chillies, other ingredients can include: sichuan pepper, dried citrus peel, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, hemp seeds, ginger, garlic, shiso, and nori. It is readily available from Asian supermarkets. If unavailable you can use dried chilli flakes.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019