- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2.5 kilogra (5¼lb) beef short ribs, excess fat trimmed, cut into sections
- 10 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- 2 litres (8 cups) chicken stock
- ⅓ cup (80ml) soy sauce
- ½ cup (125ml) mirin
- 2 tablespoons red miso
- 6 centimetre (2½in) piece fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 1 kilogram (2lb) kent pumpkin, skin on, cut into 3cm (1¼in) thick wedges
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 270g (8½oz) dried soba noodles
- 1Heat oil in a 6.75 litre (27-cup) cast iron or other flameproof casserole dish (see tips) over high heat. Cook beef, in batches, turning, for 15 minutes or until well browned; transfer each batch to a large heatproof bowl. Discard excess oil; return all beef to dish.
- 2Add half the green onion to dish with the stock, soy sauce, mirin, miso and ginger; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 1¼ hours, skimming surface occasionally to discard excess fat.
- 3Add pumpkin; cook, covered, for a further 15 minutes or until pumpkin is just tender. Stir in vinegar.
- 4Just before serving, cook soba noodles following packet directions; drain.
- 5Serve beef hotpot with the soba noodles, topped with remaining green onion.
We used a 28cm (11¼in) round cast iron casserole dish.Serve with steamed rice instead of the soba noodles.Sprinkle hotpot with sesame seeds and thinly sliced nori (seaweed) sheets, if you like.Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Freeze up to end of step 3, for up to 3 months; thaw in the fridge, then reheat in a microwave. Continue with steps 4 and 5 as per the recipe
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Fettuccine carbonaraToday 5:37am
- White ChristmasYesterday 9:00pm
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- Best edible Christmas giftsYesterday 1:00pm
- Christmas fruit and spice friandsYesterday 1:00pm
- Perfect roast potatoesYesterday 1:00pm
- Pork and fennel sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Perfect pad thaiNov 20, 2020
- Raspberry and almond trifleNov 20, 2020
- White choc-mint candy cane barkNov 20, 2020
- Iced vovo sliceNov 19, 2020
- Christmas pudding ice-cream bombesNov 19, 2020
- Banana smoothieNov 19, 2020
- Honeycomb and hazelnut frozen parfait puddingNov 19, 2020
- How to make preserved lemonsNov 19, 2020