- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2.5 kilogra (5¼lb) beef short ribs, excess fat trimmed, cut into sections
- 10 green onions (scallions), sliced thinly
- 2 litres (8 cups) chicken stock
- ⅓ cup (80ml) soy sauce
- ½ cup (125ml) mirin
- 2 tablespoons red miso
- 6 centimetre (2½in) piece fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 1 kilogram (2lb) kent pumpkin, skin on, cut into 3cm (1¼in) thick wedges
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 270g (8½oz) dried soba noodles
- 1Heat oil in a 6.75 litre (27-cup) cast iron or other flameproof casserole dish (see tips) over high heat. Cook beef, in batches, turning, for 15 minutes or until well browned; transfer each batch to a large heatproof bowl. Discard excess oil; return all beef to dish.
- 2Add half the green onion to dish with the stock, soy sauce, mirin, miso and ginger; bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 1¼ hours, skimming surface occasionally to discard excess fat.
- 3Add pumpkin; cook, covered, for a further 15 minutes or until pumpkin is just tender. Stir in vinegar.
- 4Just before serving, cook soba noodles following packet directions; drain.
- 5Serve beef hotpot with the soba noodles, topped with remaining green onion.
We used a 28cm (11¼in) round cast iron casserole dish.Serve with steamed rice instead of the soba noodles.Sprinkle hotpot with sesame seeds and thinly sliced nori (seaweed) sheets, if you like.Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 days. Freeze up to end of step 3, for up to 3 months; thaw in the fridge, then reheat in a microwave. Continue with steps 4 and 5 as per the recipe
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 43 polenta recipes for dinner or dessertYesterday 5:51am
- Rhubarb and strawberry sponge puddingsJun 30, 2022
- 18 gorgeous green curriesJun 30, 2022
- What to make with your preserved lemonJun 30, 2022
- Nacho bowlsJun 30, 2022
- Preserved lemon, mint and raisin couscous saladJun 30, 2022
- Tomato-braised lamb shanks with creamy polentaJun 30, 2022
- What food is in season in July?Jun 30, 2022
- Choo-choo train birthday cakeJun 30, 2022
- Cheese and silverbeet borekJun 29, 2022
- Minestrone with barley and greensJun 29, 2022
- 42 perfect puddingsJun 29, 2022
- Tzatziki dipJun 29, 2022