- 4 shallots (100g), chopped finely
- 3 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 kilogram minced (ground) lamb
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (50g) packaged breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup (70g) pistachios, chopped coarsely
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1/4 cup (32g) middle eastern spice blend
- 3 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 eggs
- 4 (sheets) puff pastry
- sea salt flakes, for sprinkling
- 1Place shallot, garlic, lamb, paste, breadcrumbs, pistachios, coriander, spice blend, 1 teaspoon of the fennel seeds and 2 eggs in a large bowl, season, mix well to combine. Cover, refrigerate for 3 hours to allow flavours to develop.
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C. Line oven trays with baking paper.
- 3Beat remaining egg lightly. Fill a large piping bag with lamb mixture. Cut pastry in half, pipe lamb mixture, down one long edge of the pastry. Brush the opposite long edge with beaten egg, roll tightly to enclose. Repeat with remaining pastry, lamb mixture and egg.
- 4Score pastry at 1/2 cm intervals. Brush rolls with beaten egg, cut each roll into four pieces, sprinkle with remaining fennel seeds and the salt.
- 5Place rolls, seam-side down, on oven trays, bake 25 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Serve immediately.
Sausage rolls can be made and frozen in advance. Allow an extra 10 minutes when baking from frozen. Middle-Eastern spice blend is available from supermarkets. Substitute with 1 tablespoon each ground cumin and coriander mixed with 1/2 teaspoon each ground turmeric and cardamom.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Sushi riceYesterday 2:00pm
- All the classic curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Chicken, bacon and mushroom stewYesterday 2:00pm
- Basic butter cakeYesterday 2:00pm
- Perfect pork curry recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried pork rissolesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pancake recipesApr 12, 2021
- Carrot and lentil soup with coriander pestoApr 11, 2021
- Healthy banana breadApr 11, 2021
- Pumpkin soupApr 11, 2021
- Vegetarian chilli beansApr 11, 2021
- Rösti cottage pieApr 11, 2021
- Very vegetarian Mexican recipesApr 11, 2021
- Roast beefApr 11, 2021
- Spicy Mexican soup with chickenApr 11, 2021