The perfect side for your burritos, chilli con carne or favourite Mexican dish.
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), quartered
- 2 large tomatoes (440g), quartered
- 2 clove garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 1/2 cup (300g) white long-grain rice
- 2 cup (500ml) chicken stock
- 1 small carrot (70g), sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas
- 125 gram canned corn kernels, rinsed, drained
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 2Place onion, tomato and garlic on an oiled oven tray, drizzle with half the oil. Roast, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until vegetables soften. When cool enough to handle, peel tomato and garlic.
- 3Blend or process onion, tomato, garlic and chilli powder until smooth (you need 2 cups of puree).
- 4Heat remaining oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook rice, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add tomato mixture, cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until almost all of the liquid is evaporated.
- 5Add stock, carrot, peas and corn to pan, bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered, over low heat, for 10 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork, season to taste. Serve sprinkled with coriander.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 25, 2021
- Chocolate freckle sliceFeb 25, 2021
- Delicious desserts packed full of sultanasFeb 25, 2021
- White chocolate cracklesFeb 25, 2021
- 27 quick and tasty chicken stir-fry recipesFeb 24, 2021
- Vegan dulce de lecheFeb 24, 2021
- Kung pao chickenFeb 24, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpFeb 24, 2021
- Tom yum soupFeb 24, 2021
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021
- Basic omeletteFeb 22, 2021