The perfect side for your burritos, chilli con carne or favourite Mexican dish.
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), quartered
- 2 large tomatoes (440g), quartered
- 2 clove garlic, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 1/2 cup (300g) white long-grain rice
- 2 cup (500ml) chicken stock
- 1 small carrot (70g), sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup (60g) frozen peas
- 125 gram canned corn kernels, rinsed, drained
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 2Place onion, tomato and garlic on an oiled oven tray, drizzle with half the oil. Roast, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until vegetables soften. When cool enough to handle, peel tomato and garlic.
- 3Blend or process onion, tomato, garlic and chilli powder until smooth (you need 2 cups of puree).
- 4Heat remaining oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook rice, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add tomato mixture, cook, stirring, for 8 minutes or until almost all of the liquid is evaporated.
- 5Add stock, carrot, peas and corn to pan, bring to the boil. Reduce heat, simmer, covered, over low heat, for 10 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork, season to taste. Serve sprinkled with coriander.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Apple and cinnamon crunch cake with cinnamon anglaiseYesterday 2:00pm
- Carrot falafelYesterday 2:00pm
- Turkish delightYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced tofu bao with pineapple cucumber saladYesterday 2:00pm
- Zucchini koftas with harissa yoghurtYesterday 2:00pm
- 20 easy apple crumble recipes for dessertYesterday 2:00pm
- Crispy middle-eastern seed and spice potatoesYesterday 2:00pm
- 34 marvellous meatball recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Pork sausage and asparagus frittataYesterday 2:00pm
- Ratatouille stewMay 14, 2021
- Aussie damperMay 14, 2021
- 22 Indian recipesMay 13, 2021
- Brown rice and mushroom bowl with dukkah eggsMay 13, 2021
- Porridge recipes to warm up your morningsMay 13, 2021