- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 medium (150g) brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 750 gram minced beef
- 2 x 400g cans tomatoes
- 425 gram can mexibeans
- 1/3 cup (80g) sour cream
- 2 medium (500g) avocados
- 1 medium (200g) tomato, seeded, chopped finely
- 1 small (100g) red onion, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
Mexican meatballs with guacamole
- 1Heat half the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan; add the onion, garlic and spices; cook, stirring, until onion is soft.
- 2Combine the onion mixture with the mince in a large bowl. Roll tablespoons of mince mixture into balls.
- 3Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and cook the meatballs, in batches, until browned all over; remove from the pan.
- 4Add the undrained crushed tomatoes and undrained mexibeans to the pan; bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes or until the mixture has reduced by a quarter. Return the meatballs to the pan; simmer, uncovered, until the meatballs are cooked through.
- 5For the guacamole, mash the avocado flesh with a fork in a medium bowl until it is almost smooth. Add the tomato, onion, juice and salt and pepper to taste; mix well.
- 6Serve the meatballs topped with the avocado mixture and sour cream.
The meatballs and sauce can be made a day ahead. The guacamole is best made close to serving.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easy combination fried riceYesterday 3:00am
- Chocolate chip cookiesYesterday 1:21am
- Pulled salmon tortillas with red cabbage slawJun 20, 2021
- Corned beef and red cabbage sandwichJun 20, 2021
- Potato and leek soupJun 20, 2021
- Spaghetti carbonara with peasJun 20, 2021
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesJun 20, 2021
- Miso noodle hotpotJun 20, 2021
- Cheesy polenta and sausage bakeJun 20, 2021
- Mini chicken and leek piesJun 20, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyJun 20, 2021
- Easy risotto recipesJun 19, 2021
- Our best pancakes recipeJun 19, 2021
- 23 luscious lamb recipes for your slow cookerJun 19, 2021
- Indian roasted tomatoes, chickpeas and chilliJun 19, 2021