- 1 1/2 cup (300g) dried red kidney beans
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1.5 litre (6 cups) water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 chicken sausages (480g)
- 1 cured chorizo sausage (170g), sliced thinly
- 1 brown onion (200g), chopped finely
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup (280g) bottled tomato pasta sauce
- 1 red capsicum (200g), sliced thinly
- 2 fresh long green chillies, chopped finely
- 1 tomato (150g), seeded, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- 1Place beans in medium bowl, cover with cold water; stand overnight. Rinse under cold water; drain.
- 2Combine beans, bay leaf and the water in 6-litre (24-cup) pressure cooker; secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure; cook 15 minutes.
- 3Release pressure using the quick release method; remove lid. Drain beans; reserve 1 cup (250ml) cooking liquid, discard bay leaf.
- 4Heat oil in same cleaned cooker; cook sausages until browned. Remove from cooker; slice thickly. Discard oil from cooker; cook chorizo until browned. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onion softens. Add spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant. Return beans to cooker with sausages, sauce, capsicum and reserved cooking liquid; secure lid. Bring cooker to high pressure. Reduce heat to stabilise pressure; cook 8 minutes.
- 5Release pressure using the quick release method; remove lid. Season to taste. Serve sprinkled with combined chilli, tomato and coriander.
If you have an electric pressure cooker you won't need to reduce the heat to stabilise pressure, your cooker will automatically stabilise itself. Always check with the manufacturer's instructions before using. This is a great option for a easy dinner party with friends. Simply double the quantities to serve 8. You can cook the dish up to step 5 the day before and chop the chillies, tomato and coriander a few hours before serving. This dish also freezes well.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooker dessert recipesYesterday 1:54am
- Christmas in July recipesYesterday 1:30am
- Sustainable chowderJul 09, 2020
- Sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Perfect puff pastry recipesJul 09, 2020
- Banana bread with passionfruit icingJul 09, 2020
- Delicious roast chicken dinnersJul 09, 2020
- Spaghetti marinaraJul 09, 2020
- Seafood chowderJul 09, 2020
- Cinnamon sugar palmiersJul 09, 2020
- Our best homemade sausage rollsJul 09, 2020
- Our best hummus recipesJul 09, 2020
- Cornflake cookiesJul 08, 2020
- Vegetarian moussakaJul 08, 2020