Mexican beef pie
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large (300g) red onion, diced
- 1 medium (200g) red capsicum, diced
- 500 g minced beef
- 2 x 400g canned diced tomatoes
- 420 g canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 (750g) fresh corn cobs, kernels removed
- 35 g taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped coriander leaves
- 4 tortillas
- 1 cup (100g) coarsely grated mozzarella
- cherry tomatoes, cucumber and coriander, for serving
Mexican beef pie
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; cook the onion and capsicum, stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Increase heat to high, add minced beef, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned. Add tomatoes, kidney beans, corn and seasoning, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in coriander leaves. Season to taste.
- 2Preheat the oven to 200C (180C fan-forced). Line the base and sides of a 22cm round springform pan with baking paper; place on oven tray.
- 3Line base of pan with a tortilla; top with one-third of the beef mixture. Repeat layering with remaining tortillas and beef mixture, finishing with a tortilla; sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 30 minutes until browned lightly. Stand for 5 minutes before unclipping sides of pan.
- 4Serve topped with chopped cherry tomatoes, cucumber and fresh coriander.
Not suitable to freeze or microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- ColeslawYesterday 1:00pm
- Honey soy nutsYesterday 1:00pm
- Millionaire's shortbreadYesterday 6:08am
- Christmas celebration salad with maple dressingYesterday 3:33am
- Spinach dip cob loafDec 08, 2019
- Spiced sweet potato tartDec 08, 2019
- Sweet potato, mint and goat’s cheese tartletsDec 08, 2019
- Mushroom and spinach bruschettaDec 08, 2019
- Chocolate hazelnut ice-cream pandoroDec 08, 2019
- Asparagus with crisp lentils and herb yoghurtDec 08, 2019
- A very vegetarian ChristmasDec 06, 2019
- Crispy roast potatoes with rosemary saltDec 05, 2019
- 34 side dishes to complete your Christmas mealDec 05, 2019