- 800 grams dutch cream potatoes, peeled
- ⅓ cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 medium eggplants (1.2kg)
- 1 medium onion (150g), chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh long red chilli, chopped finely
- 1 medium carrot (120g), chopped finely
- 1 medium red capsicum (bell pepper) (200g), chopped finely
- 400 grams jar arrabbiata pasta sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 200 firm fetta, crumbled
- ½ cup (50g) grated mozzarella
- 500 grams lean minced lamb OR
- 500 grams minced turkey OR
- 400 grams can lentils, drained, rinsed
- 1½ cups (360g) fresh ricotta
- 1 cup (280g) greek yoghurt
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- 2Cut potatoes into 1cm thick slices; place on lined tray in a single layer. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil, top with 2 teaspoons of the oregano, then season. Turn potato slices to coat evenly. Roast for 30 minutes or until browned.
- 3Meanwhile, cut 3 eggplants lengthways into 1cm (½in) thick slices. Place eggplant in a single layer on two trays; brush with 1 tablespoon of the oil, season and scatter with 1 teaspoon of the oregano. Cook eggplant slices, in batches, on a heated chargrill plate (or chargrill pan or barbecue) for 5 minutes on each side or until tender and lightly charred; transfer to a plate.
- 4Cut remaining eggplant into 2cm pieces. Heat remaining oil in a large heavy-based saucepan; cook onion, garlic and chilli for 4 minutes or until soft. If your choice of protein is lamb or turkey mince, add to pan; cook, stirring to break up lumps, for 4 minutes or until browned. Add chopped eggplant; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden and soft. Stir in carrot and capsicum; cook for 4 minutes. Stir in arrabbiata sauce, ½ cup (125ml) water, thyme and remaining oregano. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until eggplant is soft. If your choice of protein is lentils, stir into eggplant mixture; season.
- 5To make ricotta béchamel, process ingredients until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- 6Arrange potato slices in a single layer in an oiled 22.5cm x 36cm , 3-litre (12-cup) ovenproof dish; top with half the protein mixture, then arrange half the eggplant slices on top in a single layer. Repeat with remaining protein mixture and eggplant slices. Spoon ricotta béchamel on top; scatter with fetta and mozzarella.
- 7Bake for 55 minutes or until mixture bubbles and top is golden. Stand for 10 minutes; serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 5 make-from-scratch desserts to share and impressYesterday 10:00pm
- Embrace eggplant with these 34 tasty recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roasted cauliflower with miso glazeYesterday 6:35am
- Chocolate fig panforteYesterday 1:18am
- Christmas candy cane sliceYesterday 12:46am
- Christmas dinners that aren't Christmas hamDec 01, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchDec 01, 2021
- 34 quick and indulgent treats for ChristmasDec 01, 2021
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- 34 breakfast ideas for Christmas morningNov 30, 2021
- 27 sensational stone fruit desserts for summerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chickenNov 30, 2021