- 1 large fennel bulb (550g), cut into 1cm thick slices, fronds reserved
- 1 large red onion (300g), cut into thin wedges
- 1 medium bulb garlic, cloves separated, unpeeled
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 large red capsicum (bell pepper) (350g), chopped coarsely
- 2 stalks celery (300g), chopped coarsely
- 2 stalks fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped finely
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1 litre (4 cups) fish stock
- 400 grams tomatoes (we recommend Kumato® tomatoes)
- 800 grams skinless blue-eye trevalla fillets, pin-boned, cut into 3cm pieces
- 520 grams day-old garlic sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped
- fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Make pangrattato topping. Increase oven to 220°C. Line a large oven tray with baking paper.
- 2Toss fennel, onion and garlic with half the oil; season. Spread over prepared tray; roast for 25 minutes or until just tender. Squeeze garlic flesh from skins; reserve roast vegetables.
- 3Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a 3-litre (12-cup) 30cm (12in) round ovenproof frying pan or flameproof roasting pan over medium heat. Cook capsicum, celery and parsley stalks, stirring, for 2 minutes or until softened. Add paprika and saffron; cook for 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste; cook for a further 1 minute. Increase heat to high; deglaze pan with wine.
- 4Add stock, tomatoes and roast fennel mixture to pan with capsicum mixture; bring to the boil and simmer over medium-high heat for 25 minutes or until reduced by a third. Season to taste.
- 5Gently press fish into tomato mixture to submerge. Bake for 15 minutes or until fish is cooked through.
- 6Top fish pie with pangrattato topping to serve.
Coarsely chop bread; process until coarse crumbs form. Toss
with remaining ingredients. Spread over lined oven tray; bake for 5 minutes or until golden and crisp.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 28 mango recipes for dessertOct 21, 2021
- 13 Spooky Halloween recipesOct 21, 2021
- Seeded pumpkin breadOct 21, 2021
- Apple crumbleOct 21, 2021
- Santorini tomato frittersOct 21, 2021
- Zucchini primavera with poached eggsOct 21, 2021
- Gluten-free banana breadOct 21, 2021
- Fresh tomato pizzettasOct 21, 2021
- Basic hummusOct 20, 2021
- Custard tartOct 20, 2021
- Our best hummus recipesOct 20, 2021
- Roti canai flatbreadOct 20, 2021
- Peaches and cream pieOct 20, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeOct 20, 2021