- 500 grams minced beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (35g) stale breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup (50g) finely grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato pasta sauce
- 6 long soft bread rolls
- 60 grams baby rocket leaves
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1Combine beef, egg, breadcrumbs, half the parmesan and the parsley in a bowl; roll tablespoons of mixture into 24 meatballs.
- 2Heat oil in a large deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat; cook meatballs, turning, for 10 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- 3Add pasta sauce to pan; bring to a simmer.
- 4Split rolls lengthways from the top, without cutting all the way through. Spread sides with sauce.
- 5Combine rocket and vinegar in a small bowl; divide salad among rolls.
- 6Fill each roll with four meatballs and scatter with the remaining parmesan.
Use gem or cos lettuce leaves instead of the rocket, if preferred.
- Meatballs can be prepared to the end of step 3 and refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days in advance. Continue from step 4 the night before or in the morning.
- Wrap subs in baking paper and pack in airtight containers. Transport in cooler bags. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- What's in season in MarchYesterday 1:00pm
- Broccoli and Tom Yum prawn fried riceYesterday 5:12am
- Monte carlo biscuitsYesterday 3:00am
- Linguine with garlic prawns & chorizoYesterday 2:00am
- 10 quick and easy dessertsYesterday 1:02am
- Chewy chocolate sliceFeb 26, 2020
- Chelsea bunsFeb 26, 2020
- Salmon pattiesFeb 26, 2020
- Salmon niçoise tray bakeFeb 26, 2020
- Vanilla custard pieFeb 26, 2020
- Molten chocolate lava cakesFeb 26, 2020
- Mediterranean fish pieFeb 26, 2020
- Melt-and-mix strawberry yoghurt cakeFeb 26, 2020
- Vanilla panna cotta with berry compoteFeb 26, 2020
- White wine mussels with pearl couscousFeb 26, 2020