- 500 grams minced beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (35g) stale breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup (50g) finely grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato pasta sauce
- 6 long soft bread rolls
- 60 grams baby rocket leaves
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1Combine beef, egg, breadcrumbs, half the parmesan and the parsley in a bowl; roll tablespoons of mixture into 24 meatballs.
- 2Heat oil in a large deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat; cook meatballs, turning, for 10 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- 3Add pasta sauce to pan; bring to a simmer.
- 4Split rolls lengthways from the top, without cutting all the way through. Spread sides with sauce.
- 5Combine rocket and vinegar in a small bowl; divide salad among rolls.
- 6Fill each roll with four meatballs and scatter with the remaining parmesan.
Use gem or cos lettuce leaves instead of the rocket, if preferred.
- Meatballs can be prepared to the end of step 3 and refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days in advance. Continue from step 4 the night before or in the morning.
- Wrap subs in baking paper and pack in airtight containers. Transport in cooler bags. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022