- 500 grams minced beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (35g) stale breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup (50g) finely grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato pasta sauce
- 6 long soft bread rolls
- 60 grams baby rocket leaves
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1Combine beef, egg, breadcrumbs, half the parmesan and the parsley in a bowl; roll tablespoons of mixture into 24 meatballs.
- 2Heat oil in a large deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat; cook meatballs, turning, for 10 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- 3Add pasta sauce to pan; bring to a simmer.
- 4Split rolls lengthways from the top, without cutting all the way through. Spread sides with sauce.
- 5Combine rocket and vinegar in a small bowl; divide salad among rolls.
- 6Fill each roll with four meatballs and scatter with the remaining parmesan.
Use gem or cos lettuce leaves instead of the rocket, if preferred.
- Meatballs can be prepared to the end of step 3 and refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days in advance. Continue from step 4 the night before or in the morning.
- Wrap subs in baking paper and pack in airtight containers. Transport in cooler bags. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nectarine and almond tartFeb 21, 2019
- Sugar-free chocolate cakeFeb 20, 2019
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Gluten-free hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Best ever choc-chip hot cross bunsFeb 17, 2019
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019