- 500 grams minced beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (35g) stale breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup (50g) finely grated parmesan
- 1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup (250ml) tomato pasta sauce
- 6 long soft bread rolls
- 60 grams baby rocket leaves
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1Combine beef, egg, breadcrumbs, half the parmesan and the parsley in a bowl; roll tablespoons of mixture into 24 meatballs.
- 2Heat oil in a large deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat; cook meatballs, turning, for 10 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- 3Add pasta sauce to pan; bring to a simmer.
- 4Split rolls lengthways from the top, without cutting all the way through. Spread sides with sauce.
- 5Combine rocket and vinegar in a small bowl; divide salad among rolls.
- 6Fill each roll with four meatballs and scatter with the remaining parmesan.
Use gem or cos lettuce leaves instead of the rocket, if preferred.
- Meatballs can be prepared to the end of step 3 and refrigerated in an airtight container up to 2 days in advance. Continue from step 4 the night before or in the morning.
- Wrap subs in baking paper and pack in airtight containers. Transport in cooler bags. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Easter chocolate bunny bottomsYesterday 12:54am
- Easter bunny cakeApr 17, 2019
- Slow-cooked pickled porkApr 15, 2019
- Sausage casseroleApr 15, 2019
- PikeletsApr 15, 2019
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeApr 15, 2019
- Creamy bacon and fish pie with potato toppingApr 14, 2019
- Roast lambApr 14, 2019
- Roasted mushroom with baked eggsApr 10, 2019
- Chicken skewers with peach caprese saladApr 05, 2019
- Malted hazelnut layer cakeApr 05, 2019
- Salted caramelsApr 04, 2019
- Plum & hazelnut clafoutisApr 04, 2019
- Chocolate freckle Easter eggsApr 02, 2019
- White chocolate Easter bunny cupcakesApr 01, 2019