- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 100 gram (3 ounces) cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon iced water, approximately
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, extra, beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion (80g), chopped finely
- 600 gram (1¼ pounds) minced (ground) beef
- 410 gram (13 ounces) canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup (180ml) beef stock
- 1Process flour and butter until crumbly. Add egg and enough of the water to make mixture come together. Knead pastry on floured surface until smooth. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2For the beef filling, heat oil in large saucepan; cook onion and beef, stirring, until beef is browned. Stir in undrained tomatoes, paste, sauce and stock; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until thick. Cool.
- 3Oil six ⅔ cup (160ml) pie tins. Divide pastry into six portions; roll each portion between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line tins. Lift pastry into tins; press over base and sides. Trim edges. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 4Cut six 11cm (4½-inch) rounds from puff pastry. Refrigerate until required.
- 5Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 6Line pastry-lined tins with baking paper; fill with dried beans or rice. Place tins on oven tray; bake 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake further 5 minutes. Cool.
- 7Fill pastry cases with beef filling; brush edges of pastry with extra egg. Top with puff pastry rounds; press edges to seal. Brush tops with extra egg. Cut steam holes in top of pies.
- 8Bake pies about 20 minutes or until pastry is browned lightly.
Freezing instructions: After baking the pies, cool and cover with 2 layers of plastic wrap and 1 of foil. Label, date and freeze for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Discard plastic wrap and foil. Reheat as in step 8 until filling is hot. If pastry is browning too much, cover pies loosely with foil.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kale recipes you'll go crazy forToday 6:49am
- Cauliflower 'fried rice' with mushrooms and hamToday 3:49am
- Cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- Easy Danish pastriesYesterday 2:00pm
- Our best brussels sprouts recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Lamb and spinach samosasYesterday 2:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 2:00pm
- Garibaldi sliceYesterday 2:00pm
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafSep 25, 2020
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaSep 24, 2020
- Spiced beef nachosSep 24, 2020
- Curried sausagesSep 24, 2020
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesSep 24, 2020
- Stuffed capsicumSep 24, 2020
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoySep 24, 2020