- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain flour
- 100 gram cold butter, chopped coarsely
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon iced water, approximately
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 egg, extra, beaten lightly
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion (80g), chopped finely
- 600 gram minced beef
- 410 gram canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup (180ml) beef stock
- 1Process flour and butter until crumbly. Add egg and enough of the water to make mixture come together. Knead pastry on floured surface until smooth. Cover; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 2For the beef filling, heat oil in large saucepan; cook onion and beef, stirring, until beef is browned. Stir in undrained tomatoes, paste, sauce and stock; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes or until thick. Cool.
- 3Oil six ⅔ cup (160ml) pie tins. Divide pastry into six portions; roll each portion between sheets of baking paper until large enough to line tins. Lift pastry into tins; press over base and sides. Trim edges. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 4Cut six 11cm (4½-inch) rounds from puff pastry. Refrigerate until required.
- 5Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F.
- 6Line pastry-lined tins with baking paper; fill with dried beans or rice. Place tins on oven tray; bake 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans; bake further 5 minutes. Cool.
- 7Fill pastry cases with beef filling; brush edges of pastry with extra egg. Top with puff pastry rounds; press edges to seal. Brush tops with extra egg. Cut steam holes in top of pies.
- 8Bake pies about 20 minutes or until pastry is browned lightly.
Freezing instructions: After baking the pies, cool and cover with 2 layers of plastic wrap and 1 of foil. Label, date and freeze for up to three months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Discard plastic wrap and foil. Reheat as in step 8 until filling is hot. If pastry is browning too much, cover pies loosely with foil.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salad of roasted beetroot with goat's cheese and walnutsYesterday 2:00pm
- Iced vovosYesterday 2:00pm
- Salmon pattiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Sri Lankan potato and pea curryYesterday 1:36am
- Japanese katsu chicken curryYesterday 1:24am
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021