- 1 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup date syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- 2 x 350g eggplants
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 6 egg whites
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, leaves and stems
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- toasted and roughly ground farro
- ground sumac
Middle Eastern crispy eggplant
- 1Heat vegetable oil in a deep-fryer to 180°C.
- 2To make the tahini sauce; place all ingredients, along with 65ml water, in a bowl and mix to combine. Pass through a fine sieve and set aside until needed.
- 3To make the crispy eggplant; peel and cut eggplant into 2cm cubes and set aside until needed.
- 4In a medium bowl, mix together flour, semolina, and salt and pepper to taste. Place egg whites in a separate medium bowl and whisk to soft peaks.
- 5Toss eggplant cubes in the whisked egg whites, then dredge in the flour and semolina mixture. Deep fry the eggplant until crispy and golden, about 5 – 6 minutes. Once golden, remove eggplant from the deep fryer and set aside to drain on paper towel until needed.
- 6To make the parsley salad; pick leaves and place into a medium bowl. Chop stems of parsley into 2 cm lengths and add to the bowl along with the oil and lemon zest. Toss well to combine and set aside until needed.
- 7To serve, spread tahini sauce in the base of serving bowl. Top with a pile of crispy eggplant and scatter over some toasted, ground farro and a sprinkle of sumac to garnish. Finish with parsley salad and serve.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Kohlrabi & sweet potato rosti with cashew dipYesterday 7:08am
- Delicious recipes to try in your Kmart pie makerYesterday 12:05am
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019
- 14 cheeky chickpea recipesJun 05, 2019
- Waffles à la suzetteJun 04, 2019
- Vegetable and chickpea frittersJun 04, 2019