- 1 fresh long red chilli, chopped coarsely
- 2 clove garlic, quartered
- 10 centimetre (4 inch) stick fresh lemongrass (20g), sliced thinly
- 1 fresh kaffir lime leaf, sliced thinly
- 2.5 centimetre (1 inch) piece fresh ginger (10g), sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground coriander, cloves and cardamom
- 2 tablespoon peanut oil
- 500 gram (1 pound) minced (ground) beef
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (50g) packaged breadcrumbs
- 625 gram (1¼ pounds) potatoes, chopped coarsely
- 3 1/3 cup (800ml) light coconut cream
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate
- 1 tablespoon grated palm sugar
- 1/3 cup (45g) coarsely chopped roasted peanuts
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves
- 1Blend or process half the chilli, garlic, lemongrass, lime leaf, ginger and spices until finely chopped. With motor operating, gradually add oil in a thin, steady stream until curry paste is smooth.
- 2Combine beef, egg and breadcrumbs in medium bowl; roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls. Cook in heated oiled large saucepan until browned; remove from pan.
- 3Stir curry paste in heated pan until fragrant. Return meatballs to pan with potato, coconut cream, sauce, tamarind and sugar; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until potato and meatballs are tender, season to taste.
- 4Serve curry sprinkled with nuts, coriander and remaining chilli.
To save time, omit step 1 and use bottled massaman curry paste, available from supermarkets.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Winter vegie bowlYesterday 2:53am
- Spicy zucchini and ricotta pasta shellsYesterday 1:35am
- Cauliflower recipesJul 05, 2020
- Silverside frittersJul 05, 2020
- 10 meals that are quick, easy and healthyJul 05, 2020
- Perfect pumpkin recipesJul 05, 2020
- Pumpkin pieJul 05, 2020
- Double chocolate brownie cookiesJul 03, 2020
- Osso buco with gremolataJul 02, 2020
- Quince galetteJul 02, 2020
- Easy rissole recipesJul 02, 2020
- Silverbeet and ricotta dumplingsJul 02, 2020
- Pear & ginger upside-down cakeJul 02, 2020
- Coffee & cardamon brisketJul 02, 2020
- Rocky roadJul 02, 2020
- Churros with hot chocolateJul 02, 2020