- 2 cups (440g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 2 teaspoons pink peppercorn, crushed lightly
- 1 cup (50g) firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 500 grams (1lb) mascarpone
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice
- 500 grams (1lb) strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 1/2 medium pomegranate (160g), seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons small basil or micro basil
- 1Combine sugar and the water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to boil; boil for 2 minutes.
- 2Pour 2 cups of syrup into a jug; cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled. Add peppercorns to remaining syrup. Return to boil; simmer for 1 minute. Cool, then refrigerate separately until needed for serving.
- 3Blanch basil in a saucepan of boiling water for 30 seconds or until wilted; drain. Cool in a bowl of iced water; drain. Using your hands, squeeze out excess water.
- 4Blend basil with ½ cup chilled syrup until smooth and bright green. Add remaining chilled syrup, mascarpone and juice. Blend until just combined. Transfer basil mixture to an ice-cream maker; churn mixture according to manufacturer's instructions until thick. Transfer to a container and freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
- 5Place strawberries, pomegranate, peppercorn syrup and some of the small basil leaves in a small bowl. Toss gently to combine.
- 6Serve sorbet with strawberry fruit salad, sprinkled with remaining small basil leaves.
You can use Greek-style yoghurt instead of the mascarpone for a more tangy sorbet, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Bread and butter picklesJan 14, 2019
- Scrambled tofu wrapsJan 14, 2019
- Vegan "shepherdless" pieJan 14, 2019
- Sashimi tuna poke bowlJan 14, 2019
- Apricot choc-chip muesli barsJan 10, 2019
- Prawn, kale, and chickpea tabboulehJan 10, 2019
- Classic carrot cake with cream cheese frostingJan 10, 2019
- Sweet potato brownies with espresso toppingJan 10, 2019
- Kale and quinoa frittataJan 10, 2019
- Sage & zucchini-wrapped haloumi saladJan 09, 2019
- Soft polenta with mushroom raguJan 09, 2019
- Spaghetti squash con quesoJan 09, 2019
- Mango cheesecake tart with palm sugar syrupJan 09, 2019