- 2 cups (440g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 2 teaspoons pink peppercorn, crushed lightly
- 1 cup (50g) firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 500 grams (1lb) mascarpone
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice
- 500 grams (1lb) strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 1/2 medium pomegranate (160g), seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons small basil or micro basil
- 1Combine sugar and the water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir to dissolve sugar. Bring to boil; boil for 2 minutes.
- 2Pour 2 cups of syrup into a jug; cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled. Add peppercorns to remaining syrup. Return to boil; simmer for 1 minute. Cool, then refrigerate separately until needed for serving.
- 3Blanch basil in a saucepan of boiling water for 30 seconds or until wilted; drain. Cool in a bowl of iced water; drain. Using your hands, squeeze out excess water.
- 4Blend basil with ½ cup chilled syrup until smooth and bright green. Add remaining chilled syrup, mascarpone and juice. Blend until just combined. Transfer basil mixture to an ice-cream maker; churn mixture according to manufacturer's instructions until thick. Transfer to a container and freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
- 5Place strawberries, pomegranate, peppercorn syrup and some of the small basil leaves in a small bowl. Toss gently to combine.
- 6Serve sorbet with strawberry fruit salad, sprinkled with remaining small basil leaves.
You can use Greek-style yoghurt instead of the mascarpone for a more tangy sorbet, if you like.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Vegan roastYesterday 11:59pm
- 4 ways with roast potatoesYesterday 1:00pm
- Summer stone fruit pandoro puddingDec 13, 2019
- Rosé and raspberry trifleDec 13, 2019
- Gingerbread gift boxesDec 12, 2019
- A very vegetarian ChristmasDec 12, 2019
- Salt and vinegar roast potatoesDec 12, 2019
- DukkahDec 11, 2019
- Mocha mi suDec 11, 2019
- Santa saladDec 11, 2019
- Crackling hamDec 11, 2019
- Sausage rollsDec 11, 2019
- Rich chocolate fudge recipeDec 10, 2019
- Classic roast chicken with gravyDec 10, 2019