- 180 gram butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cup (300g) self-raising flour
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lime juice
- 2 tablespoon thinly sliced lime rind
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
Tequila butter cream
- 185 gram unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cup (360g) icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) tequila
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 12-hole (¹⁄³-cup/80ml) muffin pan with paper cases.
- 2Beat butter, extract, grated rind, sugar, eggs, sifted flour, milk and juice in a small bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until ingredients are combined. Increase speed to medium; beat until mixture has changed to a paler colour. Drop ¼ cup of the mixture into paper cases.
- 3Bake about 25 minutes. Stand cupcakes in pan 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a wire rack to cool.
- 4Make tequila butter cream; Beat butter in a small bowl with an electric mixer until as white as possible. Gradually beat in half the sifted sugar, tequila, then remaining sugar.
- 5Spoon butter cream into piping bag; pipe large swirls on each cake. Sprinkle with sliced lime and salt flakes.
Cakes can be made a day ahead; store, covered, in the fridge. Bring cakes to room temperature before serving. Uniced cakes can be frozen for up to three months. Replace the tequila in the icing with lime juice, if you prefer.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeToday 3:00am
- 40 cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- 20 of our tastiest savoury tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- 40 warming sweet and savoury recipes for your pressure cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- 20 beautiful bundt cakesJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021