- 125 gram butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup (260g) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 cup (160g) desiccated coconut
- 15 gram butter, chopped
- 4 cup (640g) icing sugar
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa powder, sifted
- 3/4 cup (180ml) milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced).
- 2Grease a 23cm square cake pan; line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm over long sides.
- 3Beat butter, sugar and extract in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- 4Stir in flour and milk, in two batches. Spoon half the mixture into a medium bowl; stir in cocoa (leave remaining mixture plain). Spoon mixtures alternately into pan; using a skewer, gently swirl mixtures together to create a marbled effect.
- 5Bake cake for about 35 minutes. Stand cake in pan for 10 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto a baking-paper-covered wire rack to cool.
- 6Meanwhile, to make the chocolate icing: Melt butter in a medium heatproof bowl over a medium saucepan of simmering water. Sift icing sugar and cocoa into melted butter; stir in milk. Stir until icing is spreadable.
- 7Cut into 25 squares; dip each into icing, drain off excess. Toss squares in coconut (see notes). Place lamingtons on a wire rack to set.
To keep the coconut free of chocolate drips, spread out half the coconut in a tray and coat half the lamingtons before using the remaining coconut for the remaining lamingtons. This gives the lamingtons a clean look. Lamingtons can be frozen for up to 3 months.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Juice recipes to rival those bought in-storeToday 3:00am
- 40 cauliflower recipesYesterday 11:29pm
- 20 of our tastiest savoury tartsYesterday 2:00pm
- Roast chicken with herb stuffingYesterday 2:00pm
- 40 warming sweet and savoury recipes for your pressure cookerYesterday 2:00pm
- Make these beef taco pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Make butter chicken roti pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- Custard tartJul 22, 2021
- 20 beautiful bundt cakesJul 22, 2021
- How to make custard tarts in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make apple pies in your pie makerJul 22, 2021
- How to make Aussie meat pies in the pie makerJul 22, 2021