- cooking oil spray
- 200 gram butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 3 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon cocoa, sieved
- few drops pink food colouring
Choc buttercream frosting
- 250 gram butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup icing sugar mixture
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon cocoa, sieved
- 200 gram milk chocolate, broken into individual pieces
- vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to hot, 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Spray cake tin with oil and line with baking paper.
- 2Put butter, sugar and vanilla in bowl of electric mixer with paddle; cream on medium-high speed until pale and creamy.
- 3Add eggs to mixture, one at a time, ensuring first egg is incorporated before adding the next. Add flour and milk; stir until just combined.
- 4Divide mixture evenly between 3 mixing bowls. Add cocoa to one bowl and pink food colouring to another. Stir to combine.
- 5Dollop alternate spoonfuls of each mixture into cake tin. Stir with skewer to create marble effect. Tap tin on benchtop to settle mix.
- 6Bake cake 45 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean when inserted into centre. Remove from oven; turn onto wire rack to cool.
- 7Meanwhile, to make chocolate frosting, combine butter, icing sugar mixture, vanilla and cocoa together on low speed of electric mixer with whisk attachment. Whisk until incorporated. Increase to high speed; whip until pale and fluffy.
- 8Melt chocolate 2-3 minutes in microwave on medium (50%) heat in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring every 1 minute; allow to cool slightly. With motor running, drizzle melted chocolate into butter and sugar mixture until incorporated.
- 9Spread frosting over top and sides of cake; allow to come to room temperature before serving. Serve with ice-cream.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salted honeycombMay 24, 2019
- Chorizo and tomato omelette with chilli beansMay 23, 2019
- Croque monsieurMay 22, 2019
- Osso buco with gremolataMay 22, 2019
- Crisp-skin barramundi with mandarin salsaMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin marmaladeMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and chai soufflesMay 20, 2019
- Magical mandarin recipesMay 20, 2019
- Mandarin and cardamom gluten-free muesliMay 19, 2019
- Mandarin and poppy seed friandsMay 19, 2019
- Jam dropsMay 15, 2019
- Cottage pieMay 15, 2019
- Slow cooker soup recipesMay 15, 2019
- Apple pieMay 14, 2019
- Cuban black bean soup in the slow cookerMay 14, 2019