- 60 grams (2 ounces) butter, melted
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/3 cup (80ml) strained mandarin juice
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- 2 tablespoons icing (confectioners') sugar
- 4 medium mandarins (800g)
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) strained mandarin juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1Peel and segment mandarins. Place sugar and ¼ cup (60ml) of the juice in a large frying pan; cook, stirring, over medium heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Add cinnamon, bring to the boil. Boil, without stirring, until it turns a dark caramel colour (tilt the pan during cooking). Remove from heat; carefully stir in remaining juice (take care as caramel will splatter); stir over heat until toffee pieces are dissolved. Stir in mandarin segments. Discard cinnamon stick before serving.
Mandarin and chai souffles
- 2Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Grease six ¾-cup (180ml) ovenproof soufflé dishes with the melted butter; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the caster sugar, shake out excess sugar. Place dishes on oven tray.
- 3Combine the remaining caster sugar and the water in a small saucepan; stir over high heat, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, without stirring, for 2 minutes.
- 4Blend cornflour with the spices and juice in a small bowl, add to sugar syrup; cook, stirring, over high heat, until mixture boils and thickens. Boil for 1 minute, stirring.
- 5Beat egg whites and extra caster sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form; transfer to a large bowl. Fold warm sugar syrup mixture into egg white mixture.
- 6Spoon mixture evenly into dishes; smooth surface. Bake soufflés about 15 minutes. Dust with sifted icing sugar; serve soufflés immediately with caramelised mandarins.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate peanut butter slab cakeYesterday 5:19am
- Citrus almond twistAug 20, 2019
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeAug 20, 2019
- 10 quick and easy dessertsAug 20, 2019
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019