- 500 gram butternut pumpkin, diced into 2cm pieces
- 200 gram green beans, chopped coarsely
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 600 gram lamb backstrap, diced into 2cm pieces
- 1 brown onion (150g), chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup (150g) madras curry paste
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 425 gram can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cup (400g) basmati rice
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh coriander
- 1Boil, steam or microwave pumpkin and beans, separately, until just tender; drain. Rinse beans under cold water; drain.
- 2Meanwhile, heat half of the oil in wok; stir-fry lamb, in batches, until just browned.
- 3Heat remaining oil in same wok; stir-fry onion and garlic until onion softens. Add paste; stir-fry until fragrant. Return lamb to wok with stock and undrained tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add pumpkin, reduce heat; simmer curry, covered, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, cook rice in large saucepan of boiling water, uncovered, until just tender; drain.
- 5Add beans and buttermilk to curry; stir over low heat until heated through. Remove from heat; stir in coriander.
- 6Serve curry with rice, sprinkle with extra chopped fresh corriander, if desired.
Butternut pumpkin contains no fat, is low in kilojoules and rich in beta-carotene and vitamin C. A variety of the gramma family, the butternut has an elongated bell shape, a sweet, nutty flavour and a fairly dry texture. It is very popular and versatile. It can star as an ingredient in a soup, risotto or warm salad, and it's fab mashed then eaten on its own or made into gnocchi, a sweet pie, scones or bread.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 20 homemade muesli bars and snack barsToday 5:29am
- Nectarine and almond tarte tatinToday 2:23am
- 25 pasta recipesToday 1:08am
- Garlic prawns with sourdough toastToday 12:23am
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- 36 vegan dinners for the familyYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingYesterday 1:00pm
- Thermomix Swedish meatballs with gravy and horseradish mashYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy snacks to get you through the dayYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- Beer-battered fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- 23 fish cakes recipes for easy dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- 17 sensational seafood stews and casserolesYesterday 1:00pm
- Thai beef saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Summer puddingYesterday 1:00pm