Creamy, cheesy and utterly moreish, a hearty macaroni and cheese bake is the ultimate comfort food.
- 300 gram macaroni pasta
- 4 bacon rashers, chopped roughly
- 80 gram butter
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 1 litre (4 cups) milk
- 1 cup (125g) coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (40g) finely grated pecorino cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 cup (35g) stale breadcrumbs
- 1Add the pasta to a large pan of boiling, salted water, cook uncovered, until just tender; drain. Preheat oven to moderately hot (200°C).
- 2Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a medium pan, stirring, until the bacon is crisp; drain on absorbent paper.
- 3Melt 50g butter in the same pan, add the flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Gradually stir in the milk. Continue stirring until the sauce boils and thickens.
- 4Cool for 2 minutes, then stir in the cheeses, mustard and bacon.
- 5Combine the pasta and sauce in a large bowl. Transfer to an oiled, deep 2-litre (8 cup) capacity ovenproof dish. Top with the breadcrumbs, dot with remaining butter.
- 6Bake, uncovered, in a moderately hot oven, 30 minutes, or until the top is browned.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 19 delicious dinners using turkey minceYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy chocolate browniesYesterday 1:00pm
- Quick-mix chewy choc-chip cookiesYesterday 1:00pm
- Beef rissoles and mashYesterday 1:00pm
- '90s Aussie kids' party foodFeb 25, 2021
- Easy hot cross bunsFeb 25, 2021
- White chocolate cracklesFeb 25, 2021
- Chocolate freckle sliceFeb 25, 2021
- Delicious desserts packed full of sultanasFeb 25, 2021
- 27 quick and tasty chicken stir-fry recipesFeb 24, 2021
- Kung pao chickenFeb 24, 2021
- Vegan dulce de lecheFeb 24, 2021
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpFeb 24, 2021
- Tom yum soupFeb 24, 2021
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021