Luscious lemon cake
- 125 gram butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup milk
- strips of lemon zest, to decorate
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
Luscious lemon cake with lemon icing
- 1Preheat oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan-forced. Grease and line a deep 20cm (base measurement) round cake pan with baking paper. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition. Sift flour over butter mixture. Add juice and milk; stir to combine.
- 2Spoon mixture into prepared pan; level surface. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted at centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes, then turnout onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3Meanwhile, to make lemon icing; sift icing sugar into a large bowl. Gradually add juice, stirring until smooth.
- 4Spread lemon icing over cooled cake, allowing it to drip down sides. Serve sprinkled with zest.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- French toastOct 16, 2019
- Honey joysOct 16, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpOct 16, 2019
- Peanut butter cookiesOct 16, 2019
- Chicken curry recipesOct 16, 2019
- Ocean trout salad with edamame miso dressingOct 16, 2019
- Windsor shortbreadOct 16, 2019
- Coconut riceOct 16, 2019
- Best burger recipesOct 16, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsOct 16, 2019
- Sweet potato bubble and squeakOct 16, 2019
- Spiced apple filo coilOct 16, 2019
- Lemon curd cakeOct 16, 2019
- Butter chickenOct 15, 2019
- Vanilla sliceOct 15, 2019
- Pistachio, honey and cardamom kulfiOct 15, 2019