- 2 apples (400g), peeled, cored, chopped finely
- 1 cup (150g) finely chopped seeded dried dates
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup (250ml) boiling water
- 125 gram butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) plain flour
- 60 gram butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup (110g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) milk
- 2/3 cup (50g) shredded coconut
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease deep 23cm-square cake pan; line base and sides with baking paper.
- 2Combine apple, dates and soda in large bowl, stir in the water; cover bowl with plastic wrap, stand 10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, beat butter, extract, sugar and egg in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add butter mixture to apple mixture; stir to combine. Add sifted flour; stir to combine.
- 4Pour mixture into pan; bake about 50 minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, to make the coconut topping, stir all ingredients in medium saucepan over low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- 6Remove cake carefully from oven to bench. Using metal spatula, carefully spread warm topping evenly over cake; return to oven, bake about 20 minutes or until topping is browned. Stand cake in pan 5 minutes; turn, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Citrus almond twistYesterday 2:51am
- Pistachio and apricot baklava cakeYesterday 2:31am
- 10 quick and easy dessertsYesterday 2:02am
- Teriyaki salmonAug 19, 2019
- Pistachio, pink pepper & rose petal barkAug 19, 2019
- Garlicky mushroom pizzaAug 19, 2019
- Mushroom pie with minted mushy peasAug 18, 2019
- Mixed berry clafoutisAug 16, 2019
- Banoffee meringue with honeycombAug 15, 2019
- Spinach, cheese and potato cannelloniAug 15, 2019
- Pumpkin and maple bacon tarts with fried eggsAug 14, 2019
- Free-form mushroom and cheese tartAug 13, 2019
- Lumberjack cakeAug 11, 2019
- Salmon recipesAug 09, 2019
- 25 magical mushroom recipesAug 07, 2019