Low-fat sticky date cake
- 200 gram packet pitted dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 90 gram low-fat dairy spread
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans
- 1 cup light evaporated milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon cornflour
- few drops vanilla extract
Low-fat sticky date cake
- 1Preheat oven to moderate, 180°C. Lightly grease and line a 20cm round cake pan with baking paper.
- 2Place dates and bicarbonate of soda in a small saucepan. Pour water over and bring back to the boil on high heat. Stir well, remove from heat and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat spread and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- 4Fold half flour into the creamed mixture with half dates and liquid. Fold in remaining flour and date mixture.
- 5Pour into pan, sprinkle with nuts. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until cooked when tested with a skewer. Serve warm pudding with warm sauce(or have them both at room temperature, if preferred).
- 6In a medium saucepan, combine evaporated milk, sugar, corn-flour and vanilla, stirring until smooth. Continue stirring on medium heat until boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1-2 minutes, until thickened slightly. Serve warm sauce with warm pudding (or have them both at room temperature, if preferred).
Add some extra chopped walnuts or pecans to cake mixture if desired - but remember this will increase the fat content. Light evaporated milk, thickened with cornflour, can be substituted for cream in many dishes, sweet and savoury.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chinese omelettesYesterday 1:00pm
- Strawberry & almond friand sliceYesterday 1:00pm
- Sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Fruit mince piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Roast pumpkin, spinach and feta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Traditional shortbreadYesterday 1:00pm
- Beautiful buttermilk pancakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Curried pasta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best homemade sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon and sugar pancakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Classic Christmas trifleYesterday 6:13am
- How to make the perfect Christmas puddingYesterday 1:58am
- Basic sausage rollsYesterday 1:00am
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafYesterday 12:50am
- Pumpkin, spinach and fetta frittataOct 21, 2020
- Spinach dip cob loafOct 21, 2020