Little portuguese tarts
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3 (sheets) butter puff pastry
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoon custard powder
- 2 1/4 cup (560ml) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (80g) icing (confectioners') sugar
Little portuguese tarts
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C/180°F. Grease 3 x 12-hole (2-tablespoon/40ml) deep flat-based patty pans.
- 2Combine cinnamon and ¼ cup of the sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle each pastry sheet well with cinnamon sugar. Roll each sheet up tightly, cut into 12 equal-sized rounds. Place rounds cut-side down. Roll each round into a circle with a diameter of 9cm (3¾-inch), using your fingers, press rounds into pan holes ensuring pastry is pressed firmly into the base of the pan. Freeze for 5 minutes.
- 3Whisk remaining sugar, egg yolks, cornflour and custard powder in a medium bowl until just combined. Combine milk and vanilla in a medium saucepan, bring mixture almost to the boil. Whisking continuously, gradually pour milk mixture into egg mixture, return custard mixture to same saucepan. Cook custard over low heat, stirring continuously, until mixture boils and thickens, remove from heat. Transfer mixture to a large jug.
- 4Pour custard mixture equally between cases (about 1 tablespoon each), bake 15 minutes or until pastry is golden and custard just set, cool.
- 5Just before serving, dust cooled tarts with sifted icing sugar. Using a kitchen blowtorch, caramelise the tops of the tarts.
If you don't have a kitchen blowtorch, sprinkle the sifted icing sugar over the top of the tarts before baking, then bake as per step 4. You need 3 x 12-hole (2-tablespoon/40ml) deep flat-based patty pans.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chorizo and capscium savoury bread puddingFeb 13, 2019
- Caramel cheesecake sliceFeb 13, 2019
- Delicious recipes to back up your gut healthFeb 13, 2019
- Valentine's Day dinners worth staying in forFeb 12, 2019
- Turmeric dosa with green chilli potatoesFeb 10, 2019
- Healthy steamed fish and vegetable parcelsFeb 10, 2019
- Vegan tiramisuFeb 10, 2019
- Indian-style gnocchi with green veg masalaFeb 10, 2019
- Grain-free coconut granolaFeb 10, 2019
- Banana, coconut & rosemary nice-creamFeb 10, 2019
- Gluten-free buckwheat waffles with golden syrupFeb 10, 2019
- How to cook burghulFeb 10, 2019
- Vegetable lasagneFeb 10, 2019