- 1 x 470g (15-ounce) packet butter cake mix
- 1 quantity butter cream
- pink food colouring
- 8 yellow jelly snakes
- 1 red jelly snake
- 6 white marshmallows purple, yellow and green
- sugar sprinkles
- 1 red smartie
- 1 green smartie
- 3 pink smarties
- 2 purple-coated licorice allsorts
- 1 black licorice strap
- 125 gram (40z) softened butter
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing (confectioners’) sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease cake pans, line bases and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm (2 inches) above sides.
- 2Make cake according to directions on packet, divide mixture evenly between pans. Bake cakes about 25 minutes. Stand cakes in pans 5 minutes before turning, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool.
- 3Level tops of cakes, turn cakes, cut-side down. Using pattern from pattern sheet, cut pig's face and feet from one cake, using round cutter, cut nose from scraps.
- 4Secure cake pieces, cut-side down, on cake board to form pig, as pictured, secure with a little butter cream. Discard any leftover cake.
- 5To make butter cream. Beat the butter (and any flavouring if using) in a small bowl with an electric beater until the butter is as white as possible. (This will result in a whiter buttercream which will give you better results if colouring it). Gradually beat in half of the sifted icing sugar, then the milk, then the remaining sifted icing sugar. Beat until the butter cream is smooth and spreadable. Keep scraping down the side of the bowl during beating.
- 6Tint butter cream pink, spread all over cake.
- 7Position yellow snakes for hair, position red snake for tail. Cut marshmallows in half, pinch ends gently into a point. Dip the marshmallow halves, cut-sides down, into coloured sugar sprinkles, position in hair to make flowers, as pictured. Secure red, green and one pink Smartie to flowers, as pictured, with a little butter cream.
- 8Position remaining pink Smarties for nostrils and purple licorice allsorts for eyes. Cut pieces of licorice strap to make eyelashes, position on cake. Cut a thin strip of licorice for mouth.
EQUIPMENT Two x deep 20cm (8-inch) round cake pans 5cm (2-inch) round cutter 30cm (12-inch) round cake board To make your own coloured sugar crystals, place white table sugar in a plastic zip top bag with a little colouring. Massage the colouring through the sugar until it's evenly coloured. This little piggy went to a birthday party and had lots of fun, made lots of noise, and had lots of really, really yummy food.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- 20 homemade muesli bars and snack barsToday 5:29am
- Classic lamingtonsYesterday 8:00pm
- Healthy quinoa saladsYesterday 1:00pm
- White sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Healthy lunchbox recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Spaghetti bologneseYesterday 1:00pm
- Indian rice saladYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make basic sconesYesterday 1:00pm
- Chunky fig and vanilla jamYesterday 1:00pm
- 22 healthy food bowlsYesterday 1:00pm
- CevicheYesterday 1:00pm
- Grilled mushrooms with soft-boiled dukkah eggs and crisp kaleYesterday 1:00pm
- Pancake recipesJan 22, 2021