Little ginger cakes
- 175 gram butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon treacle
- 1 1/3 cup (200g) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2/3 cup (85g) coarsely grated apple
- 2 tablespoon chopped crystallised ginger
- 1/3 cup (80ml) warm water
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced crystallised ginger, extra, to serve
- icing sugar, to dust
- silver cachous, to decorate
- 1 cup (160g) icing sugar mixture
- 1 teaspoon soft butter
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
Little ginger cakes with lemon drizzle
- 1Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Generously grease six 1 cup (250ml capacity) pans or one 6 cup (1.5 litre capacity) fancy loaf pan.
- 2Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until combined between additions. Stir in the treacle.
- 3Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Stir in sifted dry ingredients, then apple, crystallised ginger and water. Divide the mixture among the prepared pans; smooth tops.
- 4Bake for 30 minutes for the small cakes or 1 hour for the loaf, or until cooked when tested. Turn cakes onto wire racks to cool.
- 5Make lemon drizzle: Sift the icing sugar into a medium heatproof bowl, stir in the butter and juice to form a paste. Place the bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water; stir until icing is a pouring consistency.
- 6Spoon lemon drizzle over cakes, then sprinkle with icing sugar, cachous and extra crystallised ginger.
You will need approximately 1 large apple for this recipe. Ginger cakes can be made up to three days ahead. Un-iced cakes suitable to freeze. Drizzle suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Rosé sangriaYesterday 11:53pm
- ChurrosYesterday 2:00pm
- SangriaYesterday 2:00pm
- Slow-cooker silverbeet dhalYesterday 10:20am
- SpanakopitaYesterday 6:57am
- Lamb birriaYesterday 6:40am
- Sesame Turkish ring breadsYesterday 3:32am
- 42 brilliant brownie recipesYesterday 2:29am
- Chilli con carneYesterday 2:15am
- 30 easy vegetarian curry recipesYesterday 12:18am
- 23 easy bread recipesMay 18, 2022
- VichyssoiseMay 18, 2022
- Classic margaritaMay 18, 2022
- Air fryer potato gratinMay 18, 2022
- Romesco sauceMay 18, 2022