- 250 grams salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 1¾ cup plain flour
- ½ cup (90g) rice flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime rind
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 beaten egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon extra sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C. Grease two oven trays. Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined.
- 2Sift flour. Add vanilla extract, lime rind and fresh basil leaves with the flour. Add large spoonfuls of flour mixture to butter mixture, beating after each addition. Press ingredients together gently; knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- 3Divide dough into two portions. Shape portions into 18cm (71/4in) rounds.
- 4Place rounds on trays; mark into wedges, then prick with a fork. Pinch a decorative edge with floured fingers.
- 5Bake shortbread for 30 minutes. Leave shortbread on trays for 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool.
- 6Sprinkle the baked shortbread rounds with 1 tablespoon each extra caster sugar while still warm.
You will need 2 limes for the recipe.Cut when cold. Recipe can be made a month ahead; store in an airtight container.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpYesterday 1:00pm
- Kung pao chickenYesterday 1:00pm
- Vegan dulce de lecheYesterday 1:00pm
- Tom yum soupYesterday 1:00pm
- How to make a classic béarnaise sauceFeb 22, 2021
- Basic omeletteFeb 22, 2021
- All of our best nachos recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Delicious savoury crepes and pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- 20 baking ideas with cranberriesFeb 22, 2021
- 30 minced recipesFeb 22, 2021
- Easy recipe ideas using chicken thighsFeb 22, 2021
- Nasi lemakFeb 22, 2021
- Savoury buckwheat pancakesFeb 22, 2021
- Mini caramelised onion and prosciutto meatloavesFeb 22, 2021
- Hollandaise sauceFeb 22, 2021