- 220 gram (7 ounces) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 cup (300g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 cup (100g) ground hazelnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoon water
- 1/3 cup (75g) demerara sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water, extra
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease three oven trays; line with baking paper.
- 2Beat butter and caster sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and pale. Add vanilla, egg and lemon; beat until well combined.
- 3Stir in sifted combined flour, hazelnut and cinnamon until a soft dough forms. Shape into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 4Shape 2 tablespoons of dough into a 30cm (12-inch) length. Fold in half and twist together, leaving about 2cm (¾-inch) untwisted at ends. Repeat with remaining dough. Place on oven trays; brush with combined lightly beaten egg white and the water. Sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- 5Bake 25 minutes or until golden; cool on trays.
- 6Sift icing sugar into a small bowl, add juice and the extra water; stir to form a thin icing. Transfer to a small jug (this gives greater depth when dipping); dip bottom part of twists in icing, place on a baking-paper-lined tray; stand until set.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Fish skewers with labne & chilli tomato saladOct 30, 2020
- Vegan mayonnaiseOct 30, 2020
- Smoky tomato & bacon frittersOct 30, 2020
- Japanese cabbage pancakesOct 30, 2020
- Vegetable & lentil pot piesOct 30, 2020
- Lemon drizzle cakeOct 30, 2020
- Luscious lemon cakeOct 30, 2020
- Blueberry muffinsOct 29, 2020
- Broccoli, mustard and cheddar hand piesOct 29, 2020
- Chocolate slab cakeOct 28, 2020
- Sensational spring dinnersOct 28, 2020
- Easy vanilla cupcakesOct 28, 2020
- Chicken & watercress pasta saladOct 28, 2020