- 4 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice
- 40 gram butter
- 125 gram butter, softened
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup (60g) desiccated coconut
- 1 1/4 cup (185g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
Lemon meringue cupcakes
- 1To make lemon curd, combine ingredients in a small heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water; stir constantly, until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Cover surface with plastic wrap; refrigerate until cold.
- 2Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line 12-hole (1/3-cup/80ml capacity) muffin pan with paper cases.
- 3Beat butter, rind, sugar and eggs in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Stir in the coconut, then sifted flour and milk. Divide mixture among cases; smooth surface. Bake for about 20 minutes or until cooked. Cool cupcakes on wire racks. Increase oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced).
- 4Cut a 2cm-deep hole in centre of each cake, fill with lemon curd; discard tops.
- 5To make meringue, combine egg whites and sugar in a small bowl, beat with an electric mixer until thick and glossy. Spoon meringue into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain tube. Pipe meringue on cakes; place on oven tray. Bake about 5 minutes or until browned lightly.
Unfilled cupcakes suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave. Curd is best made a day ahead.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Iced vovosSep 16, 2021
- Salmon pattiesSep 16, 2021
- Picnic food ideasSep 16, 2021
- Sri Lankan potato and pea currySep 16, 2021
- Japanese katsu chicken currySep 16, 2021
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021