- 150 gram butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cup (240g) ground almonds (almond meal)
- 3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar, extra
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (160g) icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon tablespoons lemon juice, approximately
- 1Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 20cm square cake pan; line the base with baking paper.
- 2Beat the butter, extract, rind and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the ground almonds and sifted flour. Spread mixture into the prepared pan; smooth the top. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- 3Meanwhile, combine the extra sugar and juice in a small saucepan; stir over a medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- 4Prick the surface of the cake all over with a skewer. Pour the hot syrup over hot cake. Allow the cake to cool in the pan.
- 5Make the lemon glaze. Combine sifted icing sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth. Transfer the cake to a serving plate; spoon over the lemon glaze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Lemon drizzle cakeToday 3:18am
- Luscious lemon cakeToday 12:01am
- Broccoli, mustard and cheddar hand piesToday 1:00pm
- Blueberry muffinsToday 1:00pm
- Easy vanilla cupcakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Chocolate slab cakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Sensational spring dinnersYesterday 1:00pm
- Almond friandsYesterday 1:00pm
- Chicken & watercress pasta saladYesterday 1:00pm
- Women's Weekly Vintage Edition: Gingerbread peopleYesterday 1:00pm
- Oven temperature conversionsYesterday 4:43am
- Chicken schnitzelOct 27, 2020
- Sweet curried sausagesOct 27, 2020
- Allergy-friendly fruit mince tartsOct 27, 2020
- Fruit mince pies and treats for ChristmasOct 27, 2020
- Mango recipes for dessertOct 27, 2020