- 150 gram butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cup (240g) ground almonds (almond meal)
- 3/4 cup (110g) self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar, extra
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice
- 1 cup (160g) icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon tablespoons lemon juice, approximately
- 1Preheat the oven to 160°C (140°C fan-forced). Grease a deep 20cm square cake pan; line the base with baking paper.
- 2Beat the butter, extract, rind and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the ground almonds and sifted flour. Spread mixture into the prepared pan; smooth the top. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- 3Meanwhile, combine the extra sugar and juice in a small saucepan; stir over a medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- 4Prick the surface of the cake all over with a skewer. Pour the hot syrup over hot cake. Allow the cake to cool in the pan.
- 5Make the lemon glaze. Combine sifted icing sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth. Transfer the cake to a serving plate; spoon over the lemon glaze.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Classic rum ballsToday 4:29am
- Garlic breadToday 1:00am
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaYesterday 11:55pm
- Garlic beef stir-fryYesterday 1:00pm
- Easy recipes with leeksYesterday 1:00pm
- Show-stopping Christmas recipes you'll be famous forYesterday 1:00pm
- Mouthwatering glazed Christmas ham recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Fettuccine carbonaraYesterday 5:37am
- White ChristmasNov 22, 2020
- Perfect roast potatoesNov 22, 2020
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeNov 22, 2020
- Christmas fruit and spice friandsNov 22, 2020
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingNov 22, 2020
- Pork and fennel sausage rollsNov 22, 2020
- Best edible Christmas giftsNov 22, 2020
- Perfect pad thaiNov 20, 2020