- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 2 teaspoon lemon rind, finely grated
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice
- 75 gram unsalted cold butter, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thickened (heavy) cream
- 12 x 6cm (2½-inch) (96g) ready-made tart shells
- 1Whisk whole eggs, yolks and sugar in a small heavy-based saucepan until smooth. Add rind, juice and butter, whisking continuously over low heat for 5 minutes or until curd thickens. Do not allow mixture to get too hot or it will curdle.
- 2Transfer curd mixture to a stainless steel bowl, then place over a bowl of iced water, stir with a whisk occasionally for 5 minutes to cool to room temperature.
- 3Place curd in the freezer for 5 minutes to accelerate chilling, but don't forget it, or it will freeze.
- 4Meanwhile, beat cream in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- 5Spoon rounded tablespoons of curd into tart shells, top with cream, serve immediately. Dust with icing (confectioners') sugar just before serving if you like.
You will need about 2 lemons for this recipe. You can freeze the unused egg whites and use them later in friands, omelettes or a pavlova. VARIATIONS You can make this recipe with other citrus fruit, simply replace the lemon rind and juice with the same amount of rind and juice of whatever citrus fruit you like lime, orange, blood orange, mandarin, grapefruit and tangelo would all work well. For a completely smooth lemon curd, strain the mixture through a fine sieve to remove the tiny pieces of rind. Lemon curd can be made ahead and will keep for several weeks in the fridge.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- 12 lovely lentil recipesToday 12:40am
- Grilled haloumi, white nectarine & kohlrabi saladYesterday 2:04am
- Tamarind beef stir fry with kohlrabi saladJun 17, 2019
- Kohlrabi & sweet potato rosti with cashew dipJun 17, 2019
- Delicious recipes to try in your Kmart pie makerJun 17, 2019
- Beef curry with turmeric rice and coconut sambalJun 14, 2019
- Banana cake recipesJun 14, 2019
- Beef curry recipesJun 14, 2019
- Fabulous frittata recipesJun 13, 2019
- 10 perfect puff pastry recipesJun 12, 2019
- 10 easy risotto recipesJun 11, 2019
- Quiche LorraineJun 06, 2019
- Vegetarian nachosJun 06, 2019
- Quince recipesJun 06, 2019
- Fried rice recipesJun 06, 2019
- Roasted chickpeas & beansJun 05, 2019