- 250 grams salted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 cups (300g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ½ cup (90g) rice flour
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1Preheat oven to 150°C/300°F. Grease two oven trays.
- 2Beat butter and sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until combined. Add lemon rind and poppy seeds with the sifted flours.
- 3Add large spoonfuls of sifted flours to butter mixture, beating after each addition. Press ingredients together gently; knead on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- 4Divide dough into two portions. Shape portions into 18cm (71/4in) rounds. Place rounds on trays; mark into wedges, then prick with a fork. Pinch a decorative edge with floured fingers.
- 5Bake shortbread for 30 minutes or until pale golden. Leave shortbread on trays for 10 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool. Cut when cold.
Stamp out shortbread with the floured cutter of your choice. The baking time will depend on the size of your cutter. Recipe can be made a month ahead; store in an airtight container.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- Peanut brittle cannoliToday 4:38am
- Toasted nori chipsToday 3:30am
- Trail mixYesterday 1:00pm
- After-school snack ideas for hungry kidsYesterday 1:00pm
- Broccoli, mustard and cheddar hand piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon meringue cupcakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Churros with chilli sugar & caramel sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Greek-style baked eggplantYesterday 1:00pm
- Cauliflower and seeds falafelsYesterday 1:00pm
- 24 healthy snacksYesterday 1:00pm
- Lime and basil shortbreadYesterday 1:00pm
- Roasted carrot hummusYesterday 1:00pm
- Firm ricottaJan 19, 2021