- 6 egg whites
- 2 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 185 gram butter, melted
- 1 cup (120g) ground almonds
- 1 1/2 cup (240g) icing (confectioners') sugar
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon icing (confectioners') sugar, extra
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease 12 x ½-cup (125ml) oval friand pans or a 12-hole (⅓-cup/80ml) muffin pan; stand on oven tray.
- 2Place egg whites in medium bowl; whisk lightly with a fork until combined. Add rind, seeds, butter, ground almonds, sifted icing sugar and flour; using a wooden spoon, stir until just combined. Spoon mixture into pans.
- 3Bake friands about 25 minutes. Turn, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool. Serve friands warm, or at room temperature, dusted with extra sifted icing sugar.
You could use orange rind instead of the lemon, or a mix of both. Friands are at their best made on the day of serving, but can be stored in an airtight container for 2 days, or frozen for up to 3 months. Frozen friands can be thawed, individually wrapped in foil, in a 180°C oven for about 15 minutes or in a microwave oven, wrapped in plastic wrap, on HIGH (100%) for about 30 seconds.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Meatball subsYesterday 11:12pm
- Arancini with prosciutto and peasJan 20, 2019
- Nasi goreng with chicken and shrimpJan 17, 2019
- Vegan pumpkin maple waffles with pecanJan 16, 2019
- Bread and butter picklesJan 14, 2019
- Scrambled tofu wrapsJan 14, 2019
- Vegan "shepherdless" pieJan 14, 2019
- Sashimi tuna poke bowlJan 14, 2019
- Apricot choc-chip muesli barsJan 10, 2019
- Prawn, kale, and chickpea tabboulehJan 10, 2019
- Classic carrot cake with cream cheese frostingJan 10, 2019
- Sweet potato brownies with espresso toppingJan 10, 2019
- Kale and quinoa frittataJan 10, 2019