Lavender fillo mille feuille
- 18 (sheets) fillo pastry
- 100 gram salt-reduced butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (35g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 2 teaspoon icing (confectioners') sugar
- 3 cup (750ml) milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup (220g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1/2 cup (75g) cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon dried dried lavender flowers
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thickened (heavy) cream
Lavender fillo mille feuille
- 1Make lavender custard. Heat milk in a medium saucepan until almost boiling. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks, sugar, cornflour and lavender flowers in a large bowl, gradually whisk in hot milk. Return mixture to pan and whisk continuously over medium heat for 7 minutes or until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat and continue to whisk a further minute. Strain into a medium bowl, cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool. Just before using, beat cream in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, then fold into lavender custard.
- 2Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Grease three large oven trays, line with baking paper.
- 3Brush a sheet of fillo with some of the melted butter and scatter with scant ¾ teaspoon of caster sugar. Repeat layering five times to form a six layer stack. Using a sharp knife and ruler as a guide, cut stack into two 12cm x 28cm (4¾-inch x 11¼-inch) rectangles, discard trimmings.
- 4Repeat step 3 two more times. You will have six equally-sized fillo stacks in total.
- 5Place two fillo stacks, side by side, on each oven tray, cover with a sheet of baking paper. Stack trays on top of each other. Place a fourth oven tray on top of the stack, weight with an ovenproof dish.
- 6Bake stacked trays for 15 minutes. Carefully remove from oven, remove dish, un-stack trays. Return trays to oven, on separate shelves, bake, uncovered, a further 10 minutes or until golden. (For even cooking, rotate trays during cooking. If pastry starts to puff, press it down with a spatula.) Cool pastry on trays. Transfer to an airtight container until ready to assemble.
- 7To assemble mille feuille, place a fillo rectangle on a platter; spread with one-fifth of the lavender custard. Repeat layering, finishing with a fillo rectangle. Dust with icing sugar and decorate with lavender flowers, if you like.
There are usually 22 sheets of pastry in a 375g (12-ounce) packet of fillo pastry. Dried lavender flowers are available from spice shops and online.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Seeded parmesan crispsJan 31, 2021
- Banana berry breakfast sorbetJan 30, 2021
- Peanut brittle cannoliToday 4:38am
- Toasted nori chipsToday 3:30am
- Trail mixYesterday 1:00pm
- After-school snack ideas for hungry kidsYesterday 1:00pm
- Broccoli, mustard and cheddar hand piesYesterday 1:00pm
- Lemon meringue cupcakesYesterday 1:00pm
- Churros with chilli sugar & caramel sauceYesterday 1:00pm
- Greek-style baked eggplantYesterday 1:00pm
- Cauliflower and seeds falafelsYesterday 1:00pm
- 24 healthy snacksYesterday 1:00pm
- Lime and basil shortbreadYesterday 1:00pm
- Roasted carrot hummusYesterday 1:00pm
- Firm ricottaJan 19, 2021