- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 500 gram premium beef mince
- 1 jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
- 1 beef stock pot concentrate
- 3/4 cup water
- 250 gram penne pasta
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon cheese sauce mix
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
- 1/2 cup grated cheese, plus extra for topping if desired
- sea salt and cracked pepper
- 1Preheat the oven to 185°C. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and saute the onion, garlic and beef mince for 5 minutes until browned and fragrant.
- 2Add the pasta sauce, stock pot and water, then simmer for 20 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water for 10-12 minutes until al dente (slightly firm to the bite). Drain.
- 4In a small saucepan, whisk the milk, cheese sauce mix, sour cream and mustard over heat until simmering and thickened, then stir in the grated cheese. Taste and season as required.
- 5Toss pasta with mince sauce, then spoon into a large freezer-proof baking dish or 3 foil containers. Smooth top and pour over cheese sauce, then sprinkle with extra cheese if desired. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
There’s a bit of cheating here with a shop-bought pasta sauce and cheese sauce mix but these are great time-savers when you are in the midst of a big cooking session. This meal can be easily frozen, and in fact tastes even better for it! Then all that’s needed is a salad on the side.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupYesterday 1:00pm
- Fresh tomato pizzettasYesterday 1:00pm
- 30 sweet slice recipesYesterday 1:00pm
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022
- Chocolate cupcake thickshakeJan 19, 2022