Lamington sponge cake
- 1/3 cup (50g) cornflour
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) self-raising flour
- 15 gram butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) thickened cream
- 1/2 cup (160g) raspberry jam
- 1 cup (80g) desiccated coconut
- 40 gram dark chocolate, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 1 cup (160g) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup (50g) cocoa, sifted
- 2 tablespoon milk
Lamington sponge cake
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Grease and line two x 22cm round cake pans; line bases with baking paper.
- 2Sift cornflour, plain and self-raising flour together three times. Combine the melted butter and boiling water in a small cup.
- 3Beat the eggs and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on high speed for 8 minutes or until thick and creamy. Using a large balloon whisk, gradually fold half the sifted flours, then the butter mixture into the egg mixture, then the remaining flour mixture.
- 4Divide sponge mixture evenly between prepared pans. Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown and sponge starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- 5Turn the sponges immediately onto baking paper-covered wire racks to cool.
- 6Beat the cream in a small bowl with an electric mixer until firm peaks form.
- 7Spread one sponge with jam, then cream to within 1cm of edge of sponge. Top with remaining sponge; place on a wire rack.
- 8To make chocolate icing; whisk the chocolate and the water in a medium bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth. Remove from heat; gradually whisk in icing sugar and cocoa until smooth. Whisk in milk.
- 9Spread chocolate icing all over the side and top of the sponge. Sprinkle the top and side with coconut; refrigerate until set before cutting.
Un-iced sponge suitable to freeze. Not suitable to microwave.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Chocolate chip cookiesMar 05, 2021
- Our best cupcake recipesMar 04, 2021
- TiramisuMar 04, 2021
- 20 indulgent dark chocolate recipesMar 04, 2021
- Easy hot cross bunsMar 04, 2021
- Meat piesMar 04, 2021
- Spaghetti marinaraMar 04, 2021
- Beef stroganoffMar 04, 2021
- Peanut butter and jelly french toastMar 04, 2021
- Perfect kids' party foodMar 04, 2021
- Curried sausagesMar 04, 2021
- TabboulehMar 04, 2021
- Harissa and maple pumpkin soupMar 04, 2021
- Lentil sausage rolls with tomato sumac saladMar 04, 2021