Lamb, spinach & fetta pie
- 1/4 cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 medium_piece (300g) onions, chopped finely
- 3 (450g) trimmed celery stalks, chopped finely
- 4 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 kilogram minced (ground) lamb
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry red wine
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) vegetable stock
- 800 gram canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup (95g) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oregano, fresh chopped
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 150 gram greek fetta, crumbled
- 500 gram baby spinach leaves
- 2 sheets shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
Lamb, spinach & fetta pie
- 1Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan forced).
- 2Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, cook onion and celery, stirring, for 5 minutes or until browned lightly. Add garlic, cook 1 minute.
- 3Increase heat to high, add lamb, cook, stirring, until browned, breaking it up with the back of a spoon. Add wine, simmer 2 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, paste, oregano and cinnamon, simmer, uncovered, 35 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated and sauce is thick. Remove from heat. Cool.
- 4Stir fetta and spinach into lamb mixture, season to taste.
- 5Spoon lamb mixture into a 20cm (8-inch) round pie tin or 1.5-litre (6-cup) ovenproof dish.
- 6Using a fluted pastry wheel, or a knife, cut each sheet of pastry into nine equal rectangles. Place pastry rectangles, slightly overlapping to cover filling in two concentric circles then cut a slit in the top of the pie.
- 7Brush pastry with combined beaten egg and egg yolk, sprinkle with salt and fennel seeds.
- 8Bake pie 25 minutes or until pastry is a deep golden, cover the pastry with pieces of foil if it starts to over brown. Stand 10 minutes before serving.
Leafy greens thrive in the coolness of a southern hemisphere winter and are a their abundant best. The spinach can be replaced with silverbeet or even kale if you prefer, simply discard the tough centre stalks first.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Salad of roasted beetroot with goat's cheese and walnutsYesterday 2:00pm
- Iced vovosYesterday 2:00pm
- Salmon pattiesYesterday 2:00pm
- Picnic food ideasYesterday 1:58am
- Sri Lankan potato and pea curryYesterday 1:36am
- Japanese katsu chicken curryYesterday 1:24am
- Southern fried chickenSep 15, 2021
- 27 simple risottosSep 15, 2021
- 46 perfect pea recipesSep 15, 2021
- Karaage chicken with Sriracha mayonnaiseSep 15, 2021
- Marble cakeSep 15, 2021
- Fish fingers with mushy peasSep 15, 2021
- 24 amazing ways to use the humble onionSep 14, 2021
- 32 wonderful ways with cornSep 14, 2021
- Monte Carlo biscuitsSep 14, 2021