Lamb shank shepherd's pie
- 4 (1kg) french-trimmed lamb shanks
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 (200g) baby brown onions, peeled
- 1 large_piece (180g) carrot, chopped coarsely
- 4 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1 1/4 cup (310ml) chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cup (310ml) water
- 1 kilogram potatoes, chopped coarsely
- 45 gram butter
- 1/2 cup (125ml) hot milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 30 gram butter
- 1 small_piece (80g) brown onion, chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 kilogram spinach, trimmed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) pouring cream
- ground nutmeg
Lamb shank shepherd's pie
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- 2Coat lamb in flour, shake off excess. Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over high heat, cook lamb until browned all over. Remove from dish.
- 3Heat remaining oil in same dish over medium heat, cook onions, carrot, garlic and herbs, stirring, until onions are browned lightly. Add wine, boil, uncovered, until liquid has evaporated. Return lamb to dish with stock and the water, bring to the boil. Cover dish tightly with foil, bake in oven for 2 hours or until lamb is tender.
- 4Meanwhile, boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender, drain. Mash potato in a medium bowl with butter and hot milk until smooth. Season.
- 5Make creamed spinach. Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat, cook onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Add spinach, in batches, stirring, until wilted and liquid has evaporated. Add cream and nutmeg, simmer 3 minutes or until thickened slightly. Season.
- 6Remove dish from oven, discard lamb shank bones. Break meat into large chunks, return meat to dish, season to taste. Combine mashed potato and creamed spinach in a large bowl, spoon over lamb mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until browned lightly.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Princess-themed birthday cakesYesterday 4:28am
- Over-the-top chocolate and macadamia browniesJun 27, 2022
- 11 mouth-watering jaffles for lunchJun 27, 2022
- 22 vegetarian lasagne recipesJun 27, 2022
- Gluten-free raspberry and lemon syrup cakeJun 27, 2022
- Our best spaghetti bologneseJun 26, 2022
- Traditional Greek recipesJun 26, 2022
- 29 brilliant ways with broccoliniJun 26, 2022
- Classic beef lasagneJun 26, 2022
- Roast beef with yorkshire puddingsJun 26, 2022
- 27 gluten-free dinnersJun 26, 2022
- Cheesy smoked baked beans with pumpkinJun 26, 2022