Looking for a quick shepherd's pie?
Lamb shank shepherd's pie
- 4 (1kg) french-trimmed lamb shanks
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 (200g) baby brown onions, peeled
- 1 large_piece (180g) carrot, chopped coarsely
- 4 clove garlic, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 cup (125ml) dry white wine
- 1 1/4 cup (310ml) chicken stock
- 1 1/4 cup (310ml) water
- 1 kilogram potatoes, chopped coarsely
- 45 gram butter
- 1/2 cup (125ml) hot milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 30 gram butter
- 1 small_piece (80g) brown onion, chopped finely
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 kilogram spinach, trimmed
- 1/2 cup (125ml) pouring cream
- ground nutmeg
Lamb shank shepherd's pie
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- 2Coat lamb in flour, shake off excess. Heat half the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over high heat, cook lamb until browned all over. Remove from dish.
- 3Heat remaining oil in same dish over medium heat, cook onions, carrot, garlic and herbs, stirring, until onions are browned lightly. Add wine, boil, uncovered, until liquid has evaporated. Return lamb to dish with stock and the water, bring to the boil. Cover dish tightly with foil, bake in oven for 2 hours or until lamb is tender.
- 4Meanwhile, boil, steam or microwave potatoes until tender, drain. Mash potato in a medium bowl with butter and hot milk until smooth. Season.
- 5Make creamed spinach. Heat oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat, cook onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Add spinach, in batches, stirring, until wilted and liquid has evaporated. Add cream and nutmeg, simmer 3 minutes or until thickened slightly. Season.
- 6Remove dish from oven, discard lamb shank bones. Break meat into large chunks, return meat to dish, season to taste. Combine mashed potato and creamed spinach in a large bowl, spoon over lamb mixture. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until browned lightly.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- What you can cook in your air fryerNov 30, 2021
- Christmas tree shortbreadsNov 30, 2021
- Jam shortbread snowflakesNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chickenNov 30, 2021
- Lemon chicken rissolesNov 30, 2021
- No-bake Mars Bar sliceNov 30, 2021
- White choc-mint candy cane barkNov 30, 2021
- Chocolate and cherry bombe alaskaNov 29, 2021
- Four ways with stuffingNov 29, 2021
- Festive walnut shortbreadNov 29, 2021
- Our best-ever chicken burgerNov 29, 2021
- 20 salad recipes to serve with Christmas lunchNov 29, 2021
- Coconut riceNov 29, 2021