- 1 kilogram boneless lamb leg or shoulder
- oil for frying
- 1 carrot, peeled, chopped
- 3 anchovies, chopped
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 peppercorns
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 5 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cup lamb or chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, mixed with 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 140°C (or get a slow cooker ready).
- 2Trim excess fat from the lamb (a small amount can remain for flavour and moisture). Cut into 4-5 big pieces. Brush all over with oil, then season with salt and pepper.
- 3Heat a large frying pan on high. When hot, add lamb (you may need to do this in batches) and sear until browned. Turn over to brown the other side. Set aside in a casserole dish. Add carrot, anchovies, thyme, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- 4Tip excess fat from the lamb pan. Reduce heat to medium, then add olive oil, onions and garlic cloves, then cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until starting to colour.
- 5Add red wine, stock and tomato paste, then simmer for 1 minute. Stir in cornflour mixture and spoon everything carefully over the lamb.
- 6If baking in the oven, cover the dish and bake for 3 hours. If using a slow cooker, cover and cook on high for about 6 hours or low for 8 (or see instructions for your slow cooker).
- 7Remove from the oven and season with salt if needed. If the meat doesn't shred easily, cook for longer.
- 8Remove meat from dish and shred into chunks. Strain the cooking sauce through a sieve or colander into a saucepan, then simmer the strained liquid for about 5-10 minutes or until reduced to a pouring sauce. Add the meat back in.
- 9Serve ragu over mashed potato or kumara, pasta or potatoes. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Fettuccine carbonaraToday 5:37am
- White ChristmasYesterday 9:00pm
- Baked chocolate and caramel cheesecakeYesterday 1:00pm
- Classic boiled Christmas puddingYesterday 1:00pm
- Best edible Christmas giftsYesterday 1:00pm
- Christmas fruit and spice friandsYesterday 1:00pm
- Perfect roast potatoesYesterday 1:00pm
- Pork and fennel sausage rollsYesterday 1:00pm
- Perfect pad thaiNov 20, 2020
- Raspberry and almond trifleNov 20, 2020
- White choc-mint candy cane barkNov 20, 2020
- Iced vovo sliceNov 19, 2020
- Christmas pudding ice-cream bombesNov 19, 2020
- Banana smoothieNov 19, 2020
- Honeycomb and hazelnut frozen parfait puddingNov 19, 2020
- How to make preserved lemonsNov 19, 2020