- 500 grams minced (ground) lamb
- 1 cup (70g) stale breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 medium brown onion (150g), grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 1 large eggplant (500g), cut into 3cm cubes
- 1½ cups (330g) risoni pasta
- 2 2/3 cups (690g) bottled tomato passata
- 1½ cups (375ml) chicken stock
- 125 grams greek fetta, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh small mint leaves, extra
- 1Combine lamb, breadcrumbs, chopped mint, egg, onion and garlic in a medium bowl; season well. Roll ¼ cup measures of mixture into balls.
- 2Heat half the oil in a large, deep frying pan; cook meatballs, shaking pan occasionally, until browned all over. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon.
- 3Heat remaining oil in same pan over medium-high heat; cook eggplant for 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4Return meatballs to pan with risoni, passata and stock; stir
to combine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until the risoni is tender.
- 5Serve meatball mixture topped with fetta and extra mint leaves.
Uncooked meatballs can be frozen for up to 3 months.If risoni mixture is too thick, add a little boiling water to moisten. Mixture will thicken on standing.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Creamed corn and bacon cob loafToday 1:50am
- 20 hearty, healthy soups to enjoyYesterday 2:00pm
- Stuffed capsicumYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced beef nachosYesterday 2:00pm
- Delicious dessert recipes with ricottaYesterday 2:00pm
- Curried sausagesYesterday 2:00pm
- 25 sweet strawberry dessert recipesYesterday 2:00pm
- Spiced fish tacos with slaw and avocado creamYesterday 5:00am
- Rosé sangriaSep 23, 2020
- The best Anzac biscuit recipe of all timeSep 23, 2020
- Gluten-free treats and baked goodsSep 23, 2020
- Beef rissoles and mashSep 23, 2020
- 22 salad recipes that are surprisingly excitingSep 23, 2020
- Vanilla cupcakesSep 23, 2020
- Easy choc-chip biscuit recipesSep 23, 2020
- Barbecued salmon with salsa criollaSep 23, 2020