Lamb & eggplant pies
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant (500g), chopped coarsely
- 1 large onion (200g), chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 kg (2lb) minced (ground) lamb
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup (20g) finely grated parmesan
- 475 grams (15oz) tub mashed potato
- 200 grams (6½oz) fetta, crumbled
- 1Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; cook eggplant, stirring, for 5 minutes or until tender. Remove from pan.
- 2Heat remaining oil in same pan; cook onion and garlic, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion softens. Add lamb; cook, stirring, for
5 minutes or until browned. Add spices; cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add stock and paste; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened slightly. Remove from heat; stir in herbs and eggplant. Season to taste.
- 3Meanwhile, to make fetta crust. heat mashed potato following packet directions. Stir in fetta; season to taste.
- 4Preheat oven to 220°C/425°F. Oil six 1-cup (250ml) ovenproof dishes; place on oven trays.
- 5Divide lamb mixture among dishes. Top with fetta crust; sprinkle with parmesan. Bake for 15 minutes or until browned lightly.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Coconut, tomato and lentil soupJan 20, 2022
- 30 sweet slice recipesJan 20, 2022
- Fresh tomato pizzettasJan 20, 2022
- Our best Italian recipesJan 19, 2022
- 22 marvellous muffin recipesJan 19, 2022
- Marbled cheesecake browniesJan 19, 2022
- Lemon chicken casseroleJan 19, 2022
- Lemon sliceJan 19, 2022
- Cinnamon doughnutsJan 19, 2022
- Chicken cacciatoreJan 19, 2022
- Chilli jamJan 19, 2022
- Garlic breadJan 19, 2022
- 10 classic recipes to master once and for allJan 19, 2022