- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion (170g), chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 500 lean minced lamb
- 1 medium eggplant (300g), chopped coarsely
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 medium roma tomatoes (300g), chopped coarsely
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup (40g) pine nuts
- 100 grams fetta, crumbled
- 2 sheets fillo pastry
- cooking-oil spray
Oak leaf & herb salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 green oak leaf lettuce, leaves separated
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh chives
- ½ cup firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Oil four 10cm, 1-cup (250ml) ovenproof dishes; place on an oven tray.
- 2Heat oil in a large deep frying pan; cook onion and garlic, stirring, until soft. Add lamb; cook, stirring, until browned. Add eggplant and cumin; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until eggplant is soft. Stir in tomato, juice and pine nuts; remove from heat. Spoon mixture into dishes; top with fetta.
- 3Place one sheet of pastry on a clean, flat surface. Spray with oil; fold in half crossways, spray with oil. Cut in half to make 2 pieces. Repeat with remaining pastry, making 4 pieces of pastry in total. Place each piece of pastry over lamb mixture, lightly scrunching and tucking pastry around mixture.
- 4Bake pies for 15 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- 5Meanwhile, make oak leaf and herb salad. Place oil, vinegar, mustard and sugar in a screw-top jar; shake well. Season to taste. Place lettuce and herbs in a medium bowl with dressing; toss gently to combine.
- 6Serve pies with salad.
Cover fillo pastry sheets with a damp tea towel to prevent them from drying out while not using.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Roast chicken with preserved lemonJun 23, 2022
- Our unbeatable lemon curd recipeJun 23, 2022
- Sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauceJun 23, 2022
- Chilli beef with cornbread dumplingsJun 23, 2022
- Lamb shank shepherd's pieJun 23, 2022
- Lemon butter almond sliceJun 23, 2022
- Savoury minceJun 23, 2022
- Traditional minestroneJun 23, 2022
- Banana and cinnamon muffinsJun 23, 2022
- Crunchy low-gi barsJun 23, 2022
- 25 beautiful banana cakesJun 23, 2022
- Express pizza doughJun 23, 2022
- Ricotta gnocchi in fresh tomato sauceJun 23, 2022
- Beef and cheese pieJun 23, 2022
- Chocolate and raspberry tartsJun 23, 2022