This traditional Turkish pastry with a savoury filling of lamb, cheese and spinach makes a great snack or light meal. Don't forget to serve with a good squeeze of lemon juice.
Lamb and cheese gozleme
- 4 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 rasher rindless bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500 gram lamb mince
- 200 gram feta, crumbled
- 150 gram baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 tomato, chopped
- lemon wedges to serve
Lamb and cheese gozleme
- 1Sift flour and salt together into a large bowl. Add water, mixing to form a firm dough.
- 2Knead dough on floured surface for about 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Return to bowl. Cover with a clean tea-towel.
- 3FILLING: Heat oil in a large frying pan on high. Saute bacon and onion for 3-4 minutes until tender. Add mince. Cook for 4-5 minutes, breaking up lumps as it cooks. Transfer to a bowl and cool. Stir feta, spinach, tasty cheese and tomato through. Season to taste.
- 4Divide dough into 8 portions. Roll each piece into a 20 x 30cm rectangle. Spoon about 1 cup filling evenly over one half of each rectangle. Fold over dough to enclose and fold over edges to seal.
- 5Heat a barbecue plate on medium. Brush gozleme with oil and cook for 3-4 minutes each side until browned and crisp. Repeat with remaining gozleme. Cut into wedges. Serve with lemon.
Gozleme is a traditional Turkish snack food that has become very popular in Australia and is often found at markets. Try chopped antipasto vegetables mixed with feta cheese as a vegetarian alternative to the traditional lamb filling.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Slow-cooked lamb shank pieToday 5:13am
- Caramel sliceYesterday 11:16pm
- Corn and kidney bean quesadillas with tomato salsaYesterday 1:00pm
- Slow-cooked lamb with white beansYesterday 1:00pm
- Linguine primavera & poached eggsYesterday 1:00pm
- Brown fried rice with carrot, cabbage and red onionYesterday 1:00pm
- Raspberry crumble almond tartYesterday 1:00pm
- Braised beef cheeks in red wineYesterday 1:00pm
- Turkish eggs (Shakshuka)Yesterday 1:00pm
- Carrot cake with lemon cream cheese frostingYesterday 1:00pm
- Barley, chicken and sesame slawYesterday 1:00pm
- Creamy mushroom and spinach gnocchiYesterday 1:00pm
- Fish and chipsYesterday 1:00pm
- Spinach and ricotta cannelloniYesterday 1:00pm
- Jam rollYesterday 1:00pm
- Cumin-spiced steak with white bean hummusYesterday 1:00pm