- 340 gram packet buttercake mix
- 25 centimetre x 30cm prepared board
- 1 quantity butter cream black and red food colouring
- 1 black licorice strap
- 14 chocolate freckles
- 2 x 15cm (3mm) black chenille sticks (pipe cleaners)
- 2 yellow smarties
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease one hole of 12-hole (¹/³-cup/80ml) muffin pan and 1.25-litre (5 cup) pudding steamer.
- 2Make cake according to directions on packet; pour ¼ cup of mixture into muffin hole and remaining mixture into pudding steamer. Bake muffin about 20 minutes and steamer cake about 35 minutes. Stand cakes in pans 5 minutes; turn muffin, top-side up, onto wire rack to cool, leave steamer cake top-side down to cool. Using serrated knife, level steamer cake top.
- 3Using serrated knife, cut segment from muffin so muffins sits snugly against the ladybird's body; trim bottom of steamer cake to make a more rounded body. Place cake on board, top-side down.
- 4Tint ¼ cup of butter cream with black colouring and remaining butter cream with red colouring. Spread red butter cream all over body of ladybird.
- 5Position muffin against body for head, secure with a little butter cream; spread all over with black butter cream. Pull an outside strip of licorice from the strap; position along centre of body. Position freckles on body.
- 6Curl one end of each chenille stick; position on cake for antennae. Position Smarties on cake for eyes.
Using a serrated knife, trim the bottom of the steamer cake to make more rounded. Using a large palette knife, spread the red butter cream all over the ladybird's body. Position the muffin against the ladybird's body, for head, then spread with black butter cream.
The Latest from Australian Women's Weekly Food
- Cider-braised pork with applesApr 30, 2021
- Lentil and vegetable soupApr 30, 2021
- Chicken paprikashApr 30, 2021
- Cheesy eggplant and lentil bakeApr 30, 2021
- Beef and mushroom stewApr 30, 2021
- Ratatouille bake with cauliflower bechamelApr 30, 2021
- Warming vegetarian stews and casserolesApr 16, 2021
- Potato recipesApr 16, 2021
- Savoury pie recipes that will feed the familyApr 16, 2021
- Melting momentsApr 15, 2021
- Our classic pavlova recipeApr 15, 2021
- 26 easy beef stews and casserolesApr 15, 2021
- 19 of our tastiest savoury tartsApr 15, 2021
- Garlic and rosemary focacciaApr 15, 2021
- Salted caramelsApr 15, 2021